What's new

Upgrading to the AX3000 and need help with robocfg to vlanctl

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WifiGhost

Regular Contributor
I made a post asking if I could take the custom scripts that I use on my 87U and upload them to the AX3000 ASUS with Merlin 384.18 that I will be upgrading to soon. I now know that robocfg will not be available when I switch over and use the new Asus Merlin as robocfg was swapped out at version 384.16 for vlanctl from what I was told as well as a post about the HND platform on the AX3000. Luckily out of my 3 scripts that create bridges and assign certain wifi networks and ports to specific vlans I only have 2 lines that use the robocfg commands which are:

robocfg vlan 40 ports "3t 8t"
robocfg vlan 50 ports "2t 8t"

So if anyone would be kind enough to help me with switching the above commands/lines from robocfg to vlanctl that will be on my new AX3000 using Asus Merlin I would appreciate it. The above assigns the vlans listed to ports 2 and 3 as well as 8t which is needed on my 87U to get it working properly so since I will have the same number of ports if anyone knows that 8t needs to be swapped out to what the AX3000 will have that would be appreciated as well. Unless Asus Merlin updates I will be buying the AX3000 and will be on ASUS Merlin 348.18/19.

Last edited:
Which AX3000 are you buying exactly?

I have some doubts about your assumptions that the model doesn't support robocfg? I thought only HND routers have changed in that regard (is the specific AX3000 model you're talking about an HND model)?

I have some doubts about your assumptions that the model doesn't support robocfg? I thought only HND routers have changed in that regard (is the specific AX3000 model you're talking about an HND model)?

All Broadcom models since the RT-AC86U are based on the HND architecture.

no assumption as I was told by another member as I stated in my OP which was based on my other post, I would be very happy to have it so I could just move my scripts over and have them work, below is my other post asking if I needed to make any changes to the scripts I use on my 87U when upgrading to the AX3000, I do not know what you mean by which AX3000, the model in the title on Amazon is ASUS AX3000, there is another that has AX58U(AX3000), but I am buying the one that only lists AX3000 as the model.

Other post: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac87u-to-ax58u-ax3000-script-questions.66086/

There are three equivalent models. Two are interchangeable (RT-AX58U and RT-AX3000). The specific model matters. :)

There are three equivalent models. Two are interchangeable (RT-AX58U and RT-AX3000). The specific model matters. :)

This is what is listed for the product details for the one I am planning to buy:

Product Dimensions8.82 x 6.06 x 6.3 inches
Item Weight1.8 pounds
ASINB08712X74K
UNSPSC Code43222600
Date First AvailableApril 11, 2020
ManufacturerAsus

One has a title showing as "AX58U(AX3000)" and one just "AX3000" and I plan to buy the one that only lists AX3000. I am considering the one listed as AX58U(AX3000), but I want to make sure I am not getting a AX58U that was upgraded to become the AX3000 so I chose the one that does not list AX58U anywhere. Why are you focused on the model? My concern is if per the person on my other post robocfg is no longer available, how to I switched from robocfg to vlanctl to get the two lines I listed above ready for my upgrade. Do the models have a lot to do with my main issue?

How about just giving the link to the website itself? The ASIN number only gets hits for the RT-AX58U for me (on Amazon.com).

As long as this is not the TUF Gaming AX3000 model, it should be a worthwhile purchase.

This is what is listed for the product details for the one I am planning to buy:

Product Dimensions8.82 x 6.06 x 6.3 inches
Item Weight1.8 pounds
ASINB08712X74K
UNSPSC Code43222600
Date First AvailableApril 11, 2020
ManufacturerAsus

One has a title showing as "AX58U(AX3000)" and one just "AX3000" and I plan to buy the one that only lists AX3000. I am considering the one listed as AX58U(AX3000), but I want to make sure I am not getting a AX58U that was upgraded to become the AX3000 so I chose the one that does not list AX58U anywhere. Why are you focused on the model? My concern is if per the person on my other post robocfg is no longer available, how to I switched from robocfg to vlanctl to get the two lines I listed above ready for my upgrade. Do the models have a lot to do with my main issue?
That's the used/refurb one. The new RT-AX3000 is ASIN B084BNH26P. I bought it a couple days ago when it was $159.99 & either 6 months interest-free financing or 5% cash back. I figure for only $20 more, I'd rather not deal with another person's reject. Arrives tomorrow.

That's the used/refurb one. The new RT-AX3000 is ASIN B084BNH26P. I bought it a couple days ago when it was $159.99 & either 6 months interest-free financing or 5% cash back. I figure for only $20 more, I'd rather not deal with another person's reject. Arrives tomorrow.
Thanks, I will make sure to buy this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084BNH26P/?tag=snbforums-20

Since the date was newer on one of them I was going for the one with the newest date but will get the one listed above that has the same number you listed, but I still need to find out if I can leave the commands as is or if they need to be switched to vlanctl and how to do so.

You will need to use vlanctl. As RMerlin said, it's an HND router and HND models use vlanctl instead of robocfg.
Thank you for answering my OP question, appreciate your help in this and choosing the right listing on Amazon.

Do you happen to know what the below would become when using vlanctl?

Thank you for this info, I should have replied sooner but missed the post, I though there were just 2 so thanks as well for clarifying this as only 2 show up on Amazon and thanks to all for making sure I am getting the proper one.

Do you happen to know what the below would become when using vlanctl?

Sorry, I have no idea. But I believe you already got the answer to this question in the link provided in your other thread here.

No worries, appreciate the help, I would have agreed, but I think it may not work for my setup as I have an FW controlling everything and my current 87U and soon the AX3000 will only be an AP and the scripts perform tagging of certain ports and wifi networks to allow the FW to give out addresses and all that good stuff so the 87U/AX3000 will just be giving out wifi. I will start my Google hunt. Thanks again to all for your help making sure I don't end up with a bad model.

I think I will avoid just running scripts and do each line manually when I get my AX3000 so I can make sure it works and if there are errors fix them before trying to let scripts do all the work.

Think I have found a good, but old script in the Merlin repo showing example usage that I can work with.

Will need to adjust for AP mode.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!