What's new

Solved UPnP doesn't work on CGNAT/Double NAT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yota

Very Senior Member
On one of my networks running RT-AC86U it has CGNAT. But my ISP allows hole punching in firewalls using protocols like UPnP and PCP.

When I enable UPnP and try hole punching with PlayStation or qBittorrent, I get this error in the log:
Code:
miniupnpd: private/reserved address 100.x.x.x is not suitable for external IP

I know that miniupnpd's upstream has always been unfriendly to non-external IPs, but RMerlin and Themiron have done a lot of work to address upstream stubbornness.

I don't often enable UPnP because I see it as a security risk. But I remember when I enabled UPnP a year ago, it worked fine. to rule out my ISP problem, I found an old Asus DSL router in the closet, it was running 380 firmware, after I set it up briefly, I ran the UPnP test again, this time UPnP worked fine, which proved my UPnP is available even if CGNAT is present. I can't tell which version of miniupnpd this firmware is using, because miniupnpd doesn't support commands like -V to check the version.

But currently on the 386.7_2 firmware, when any client tries to establish a UPnP connection, I just get that error that hits the door.

I don't know when UPnP didn't work on Merlin firmware since it's been more than a year since UPnP was last enabled, but I've seen the following changes in the changelog, maybe it's instructive:

Code:
386.5 (2-March-2022)
  - UPDATED: miniupnpd to 2.3.0.

386.4 (1-Jan-2022)
  - UPDATED: miniupnpd to 2.2.3-git 20211017.
  - CHANGED: miniupnpd will now be supplied the public WAN
             IP to improve compatibility with dual NAT
             setups.

386.1 (30-Jan-2021)
  - UPDATED: miniupnpd to 2.2 (git snapshot from 20201129)

384.13_8 (26-Apr-2020)
  - FIXED: miniupnpd would reject private WAN IPs - changed that
           upstream behaviour to allow these.

Is there any solution?

Edit:
When I try to edit /etc/upnp/config and add the ext_ip= option to it to force CGNAT's IP address, I get the following error in terminal:
Code:
# killall miniupnpd && miniupnpd -f /etc/upnp/config
Error: option ext_ip contains reserved / private address 100.x.x.x, not public routable

Edit2:
I marked the issue as SOLVED because I just changed ext_ip= to the external public IP and UPnP was working fine.

I noticed that there is no ext_ip= line in the /etc/upnp/config file, but the 386.4 changelog seems to indicate that it is auto-populated, I think, maybe some changes I made to the router firewall and hosts file caused the ext_ip= line to not populate correctly (I did block many unknown requests from the router itself to the outside).

Edit3:
After testing, the ext_ip= option accepts any available external IP address, even if it is fake, the fake external IP address will not affect the real UPnP function, so I wrote a small script to temporarily alleviate the problem:
/jffs/scripts/upnp.postconf
Code:
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
echo "ext_ip=1.1.1.1" >> $CONFIG

Last edited:
I may have posted to the wrong sub-forum....please admins move to the proper forum.

Last edited:
@Yota
I had a similar problem with RT-AX86U.
Using the "Edit3" script solved the problem.
Thanks for the information.

The value of the ext_ip setting is used as the IP to be returned to the UPnP client in GetExternalIPAddress().
The devices and software I tested worked fine with the fake IP setting, though,
I reconfigured the ext_ip with a real public IP just to be sure.
My home IP rarely changes, so I just replaced 1.1.1.1 with a fixed IP.

Last edited: