What's new

USB Disk Error-How to fix?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnD5000

Very Senior Member
I have this showing up on my External USB Disk Status. The circle is red (instead of it's normal blue) and under Health Scanner it has:

"Errors have been detected on your hard drive. Remove any damaged files or use a PC to correct system issues."

ntfsck 3017.7.18.13
Checking NTFS Superblock ...
Device name : /dev/sda2
NTFS volume version: 3.1
Cluster size : 4096 bytes
Current volume size: 1985795322368 bytes (1985796 MB)
Checking system files ...
Current device size: 1985795325952 bytes (1985796 MB)
Checking for bad sectors ...
Checking attributes ...
0.00 percent completed
... whole bunch of these ...
3.21 percent completed
3.32 percent completed
Failed to calloc 129421 bytes: Cannot allocate memory
Segmentation fault

What exactly do I do to fix this. Sounds like I need to remove it, and connect it to my Windows computer. But, then what?

Thanks

As the message states the router doesn't have enough memory to do a disk scan. This is a known problem with large NTFS drives, especially if you have installed additional third-party software which will also be consuming memory.

Remove the disk and check/repair it on a Windows PC. If you want to plug it back into the router disable the disk scanner. Alternatively reformat the drive to something other than NTFS as those formats do not have this problem.

You can use amtm to reformat the drive when it is plugged into the router. Just remember to back up the contents beforehand.

To check the disk in Windows, right-click it and select Properties, Tools.

In the Error Checking section, click the Check button and when prompted to fix any errors found, say yes. :)

Since you have another device in the other USB slot, you could try to add a swap file to it which will give you more memory.

To check the disk in Windows, right-click it and select Properties, Tools.

In the Error Checking section, click the Check button and when prompted to fix any errors found, say yes. :)

Thanks, I shut down my router, did this, it found no errors. I put disk back in router, rebooted and it seems fine, not showing errors on SSD. Health scanner ran with no errors.

Since you have another device in the other USB slot, you could try to add a swap file to it which will give you more memory.

I already have a 2.0G swap file per amtm. SHould I try deleting it and recreating it? I notice that when I click "sw" in amtm, it gives me the option to delete the swap.

I already have a 2.0G swap file per amtm. SHould I try deleting it and recreating it? I notice that when I click "sw" in amtm, it gives me the option to delete the swap.

It shouldn't need to be done now that it is working properly for you. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!