What's new

USB drive keeps unmounting ac86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Alpine_Messi

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

I've had my usb 3.0 drive "unmount" a few times, first time it happened I disconnected and reconnected the USB drive, rebooted and it worked again for a few months.

Now it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas please? Is there a well known and reliable drive I can buy?

It's an "integral 64GB usb 3.0" I'm using. I use yazfi, skynet and the ad unblocker add-on.

Also it now means that atmt thinks that skynet is installed therefore my menu options are "open" for skynet and not "install/uninstall" . What is the recommended action for me now please to reinstall skynet?

Also it now means that atmt thinks that skynet is installed therefore my menu options are "open" for skynet and not "install/uninstall" . What is the recommended action for me now please to reinstall skynet?
Use the following to remove Skynet then reinstall Skynet via amtm:

sh /jffs/scripts/firewall uninstall

As for recommending a reliable USB 3.0 drive, I would maybe recomment the SanDisk Cruise Glide but it can also be argued my other members that it might not that be that reliable (it is well know that today's USB drives are less reliable than the ones manufactured a few years ago). As for myself I am still using the same old Kingston 16 Gb drive plugged 3 years ago but purchased more than 5 years ago. Bottom line try to purchase a drive from a well know manufacturer.

USB thumb drives are marketed by capacity and MB/sec. It's hard to find endurance numbers for those. There are products marketed as for surveliance or extreme conditions that will handle more write cycles, but won't be as fast (these are often micro SSD for dash cameras or consumer-grade video survelliance). Actual external SSD drives tend to last longer.

Look for TBW (Terrabytes Written) - higher is better.

Disclosure - I work for a company that manufactures various NAND-based storage products. I have avoided recommending any particular brand.

Don't buy another USB key.

Instead, use/buy an SSD. Put it in an external enclosure (such as a UGreen, etc.), and enjoy an infinitely more reliable solution.

Depending if you have the drive already, it can be cheaper than a new USB key.

I would recommend an m2 PCIe drive that is 128GB or larger.

Use the following to remove Skynet then reinstall Skynet via amtm:

sh /jffs/scripts/firewall uninstall

As for recommending a reliable USB 3.0 drive, I would maybe recomment the SanDisk Cruise Glide but it can also be argued my other members that it might not that be that reliable (it is well know that today's USB drives are less reliable than the ones manufactured a few years ago). As for myself I am still using the same old Kingston 16 Gb drive plugged 3 years ago but purchased more than 5 years ago. Bottom line try to purchase a drive from a well know manufacturer.
Cheers the script to uninstall worked a treat. This drive must have died totally now as despite formatting it it keeps coming up as "unmounted".

I'll buy a new one and reinstall my stuff.

I do have a 120GB SSD lying around actually. I'll check on the prices of 2.5" enclosures.
Don't buy another USB key.

Instead, use/buy an SSD. Put it in an external enclosure (such as a UGreen, etc.), and enjoy an infinitely more reliable solution.

Depending if you have the drive already, it can be cheaper than a new USB key.

I would recommend an m2 PCIe drive that is 128GB or larger.

Cheers the script to uninstall worked a treat. This drive must have died totally now as despite formatting it it keeps coming up as "unmounted".

I'll buy a new one and reinstall my stuff.
Listen to @L&LD. If you buy a USB stick, you’ll be replacing it again in a year.

I can't even get my usb to mount. Have tries all kinds of filesystems and two different usb drives One of which got scorching hot. Is there a trick to make this work? It worked fine with the stock firmware but not with merlin. On the other hand everything else works much better with merlin. Would be nice to have it work though. Would really like to make a Time Machine backup.

I can't even get my usb to mount. Have tries all kinds of filesystems and two different usb drives One of which got scorching hot. Is there a trick to make this work? It worked fine with the stock firmware but not with merlin. On the other hand everything else works much better with merlin. Would be nice to have it work though. Would really like to make a Time Machine backup.
I switched to an old 2.5" ssd I didn't need in a usb 3 caddy connected to the usb 3 port and its been golden since.

I use one of these on my RT-AC86U. It's cheap enough and plenty fast.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CV6Z1NW/?tag=snbforums-20
Hey @Smokey613 . I've been having a similar issue with my latest USB 3.0 flash drive.
It has been running fine for almost a year, but I have had 4-5 disconnects over the past 10 days.
The drive reports as completely fine when running stress tests on my Windows box. I'm hoping that indeed the drive is faulty and not something worse (like my router is going bad).

I have had 2 usb drives fail previously (to the point they were unusable and couldn't be used in any system), so I know that it can happen - its just frustrating that the drive appears to be functional, yet still falling offline.

I'm considering going with the SSD - and this JOIOT one you recommend certainly is cheap. I'm curious if you have had any issues with it? Do you use it in the 3.0 port set to 3.0 mode?

128GB seems way more then necessary (I probably use < 1 GB for my Entware install - not counting swap file), but they don't seem to make smaller.

I was looking at these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079X7K6VP/?tag=snbforums-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CXC32T2/?tag=snbforums-20

Which have 3 and 5 year respective warranties (as opposed to the 12 month for the JOIOT). With the enclosure they might run a few dollars more, but might be worth it.

Just interested how you feel about your purchase after a year..?