USB drive keeps unmounting ac86u

Alpine_Messi

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

I've had my usb 3.0 drive "unmount" a few times, first time it happened I disconnected and reconnected the USB drive, rebooted and it worked again for a few months.

Now it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas please? Is there a well known and reliable drive I can buy?

It's an "integral 64GB usb 3.0" I'm using. I use yazfi, skynet and the ad unblocker add-on.

Alpine_Messi

Occasional Visitor
Also it now means that atmt thinks that skynet is installed therefore my menu options are "open" for skynet and not "install/uninstall" . What is the recommended action for me now please to reinstall skynet?

ColDen

Regular Contributor
Also it now means that atmt thinks that skynet is installed therefore my menu options are "open" for skynet and not "install/uninstall" . What is the recommended action for me now please to reinstall skynet?
Use the following to remove Skynet then reinstall Skynet via amtm:

sh /jffs/scripts/firewall uninstall

As for recommending a reliable USB 3.0 drive, I would maybe recomment the SanDisk Cruise Glide but it can also be argued my other members that it might not that be that reliable (it is well know that today's USB drives are less reliable than the ones manufactured a few years ago). As for myself I am still using the same old Kingston 16 Gb drive plugged 3 years ago but purchased more than 5 years ago. Bottom line try to purchase a drive from a well know manufacturer.

jj22038

Occasional Visitor
USB thumb drives are marketed by capacity and MB/sec. It's hard to find endurance numbers for those. There are products marketed as for surveliance or extreme conditions that will handle more write cycles, but won't be as fast (these are often micro SSD for dash cameras or consumer-grade video survelliance). Actual external SSD drives tend to last longer.

Look for TBW (Terrabytes Written) - higher is better.

Disclosure - I work for a company that manufactures various NAND-based storage products. I have avoided recommending any particular brand.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Don't buy another USB key.

Instead, use/buy an SSD. Put it in an external enclosure (such as a UGreen, etc.), and enjoy an infinitely more reliable solution.

Depending if you have the drive already, it can be cheaper than a new USB key.

I would recommend an m2 PCIe drive that is 128GB or larger.

Alpine_Messi

Occasional Visitor
Use the following to remove Skynet then reinstall Skynet via amtm:

sh /jffs/scripts/firewall uninstall

As for recommending a reliable USB 3.0 drive, I would maybe recomment the SanDisk Cruise Glide but it can also be argued my other members that it might not that be that reliable (it is well know that today's USB drives are less reliable than the ones manufactured a few years ago). As for myself I am still using the same old Kingston 16 Gb drive plugged 3 years ago but purchased more than 5 years ago. Bottom line try to purchase a drive from a well know manufacturer.
Cheers the script to uninstall worked a treat. This drive must have died totally now as despite formatting it it keeps coming up as "unmounted".

I'll buy a new one and reinstall my stuff.

Alpine_Messi

Occasional Visitor
I do have a 120GB SSD lying around actually. I'll check on the prices of 2.5" enclosures.
Don't buy another USB key.

Instead, use/buy an SSD. Put it in an external enclosure (such as a UGreen, etc.), and enjoy an infinitely more reliable solution.

Depending if you have the drive already, it can be cheaper than a new USB key.

I would recommend an m2 PCIe drive that is 128GB or larger.

jj22038

Occasional Visitor
Cheers the script to uninstall worked a treat. This drive must have died totally now as despite formatting it it keeps coming up as "unmounted".

I'll buy a new one and reinstall my stuff.
Listen to @L&LD. If you buy a USB stick, you’ll be replacing it again in a year.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!