What's new

USB drive shows as "unmounted"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bobyang

Regular Contributor
I have an RT-AC86U (386.3_2) router with a 2T USB drive attached.

once a while I will get "unmounted" word under router home page. Reboot won't fix the issue. I need to take that USB drive to a Windows computer (I can see everything in Windows), and go to Tools and Check. After checking, take it back to the router, then the router can see it.

Is there any easier way I can solve this problem? or any tool or command I can use in the router instead of doing this every weeks.

thanks.

I have an RT-AC86U (386.3_2) router with a 2T USB drive attached.

once a while I will get "unmounted" word under router home page. Reboot won't fix the issue. I need to take that USB drive to a Windows computer (I can see everything in Windows), and go to Tools and Check. After checking, take it back to the router, then the router can see it.

Is there any easier way I can solve this problem? or any tool or command I can use in the router instead of doing this every weeks.

thanks.
Have you tried installing the disk check script in AMTM and using that to check the disk?

I assume if you're using Windows to (re)ormat it, you're using a Windows compatible format (e.g., NTFS). If I was having such problems, I'd be inclined to try a Linux compatible format instead (e.g., ext4), and perhaps even have the router format it, if only to see the problem goes away. Any kind of change will offer a clue.

Of course, if you need to pull the USB drive from the router on a regular basis for use on a Windows machine, it's NOT a good long term solution.

I assume if you're using Windows to (re)ormat it, you're using a Windows compatible format (e.g., NTFS). If I was having such problems, I'd be inclined to try a Linux compatible format instead (e.g., ext4), and perhaps even have the router format it, if only to see the problem goes away. Any kind of change will offer a clue.

Of course, if you need to pull the USB drive from the router on a regular basis for use on a Windows machine, it's NOT a good long term solution.
Yes, you are right, it is NTFS format. I hardly remove it from the router but sometimes I do need to move it to copy some big files sometimes, maybe 3 times a year.

Do you know tool I can install to the router to check the drive like under windows? thanks.