What's new

USB drive unmounted after firmware upgrade.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Are you sure the drive is getting enough power (i.e. you are using the USB "Y" cable)?

Im using the cable that came with the drive, and it has been working all the time.....both with watching movies, and now lately through router with music on it.
e787c6f4f9eacf6e84e7aa3afb4142b5.jpg

Im using the cable that came with the drive, and it has been working all the time.....both with watching movies, and now lately through router with music on it.
OK that should be fine provided you're plugging it into a USB 3 socket and not a USB 2 socket (when I searched on Amazon I saw a USB 2 device).

Try installing MiniTool Partition Wizard Free on your Windows PC and seeing if that can detect your device. That gives you a lot more options than are normally available in Windows.

OK that should be fine provided you're plugging it into a USB 3 socket and not a USB 2 socket (when I searched on Amazon I saw a USB 2 device).

Try installing MiniTool Partition Wizard Free on your Windows PC and seeing if that can detect your device. That gives you a lot more options than are normally available in Windows.

I have no idea if it's a USB 2 or 3 drive, and if the router is USB 2 or 3......All I know is that everything has been working just fine until last night when I did the firmware update. It has been working fine on my Mac, on my PC, through my router, and connected to my Blu-Ray player.

I have no idea if it's a USB 2 or 3 drive, and if the router is USB 2 or 3......All I know is that everything has been working just fine until last night when I did the firmware update. It has been working fine on my Mac, on my PC, through my router, and connected to my Blu-Ray player.
You could try reinstalling the previous firmware and seeing if it works again. Although that won't solve your Windows PC issue.

I've just remembered that the RT-N66U doesn't have any USB 3 ports so officially it cannot supply the drive with the required power. Also, the power supplies that came with the RT-N66U are known to go "weak" after a few years of use causing random problems.

EDIT: The picture you posted showed a USB 3 cable and the 6026660 part number also shows a USB 3 device.

You could try reinstalling the previous firmware and seeing if it works again. Although that won't solve your Windows PC issue.

I've just remembered that the RT-N66U doesn't have any USB 3 ports so officially it cannot supply the drive with the required power. Also, the power supplies that came with the RT-N66U are known to go "weak" after a few years of use causing random problems.

EDIT: The picture you posted showed a USB 3 cable and the 6026660 part number also shows a USB 3 device.

Im going to wait now, until i have transfered all my data to my PC.....it should be ready on just 18-19 hours ;-)

How do you use a Y cable? Do you connect it to both usb outputs on the router? What If you only have one output?

How do you use a Y cable? Do you connect it to both usb outputs on the router? What If you only have one output?
You have to have two USB sockets, that's the entire point. Each USB 2 socket can only supply 500mA which is usually not enough for mechanical hard drives. USB 3 sockets can supply more. The blue plastic inside the USB plugs and sockets indicate that it is a USB 3 connector.

The Y cable is just like the cable you already have but with an extra lead that plugs into another socket. This other lead is only used to supply extra power (it isn't used for data).

71Fw6HDAayL._SL1500_.jpg

You have to have two USB sockets, that's the entire point. Each USB 2 socket can only supply 500mA which is usually not enough for mechanical hard drives. USB 3 sockets can supply more. The blue plastic inside the USB plugs and sockets indicate that it is a USB 3 connector.

The Y cable is just like the cable you already have but with an extra lead that plugs into another socket. This other lead is only used to supply extra power (it isn't used for data).

View attachment 20856

I have never heard of this, so I wonder how many uses that type of cable. For me it has worked just fine for years. And I have been playing large 4k movies on the drive, connected to my Blu-Ray player.....and it only has one USB port.....the same thing with my receiver. The last couple of months I have had it connected to the router....playing FLAC files....and that has also worked without any issues.

Im home from work again......and the transfer to my pc is really really slow. It doesn't give me a estimated time no longer.....but it's only on the letter B with 20.000+ files to go......seems like it will take weeks :-/

I have never heard of this, so I wonder how many uses that type of cable.
This was quite common practice for external USB2 2.5" HDD drives. If you look at the earlier USB2 version of the drive that you have you will see that it comes with a Y cable.
71hHi5CHD+L._SL1500_.jpg
y-cable.jpg

With the appearance of USB3 the requirement for the Y cable disappeared.

Oh I see.....well, It has been working fine for me.....and I don't think I have USB 3 on anything. And my Blu-Ray player and my receiver only got one usb.....so I wouldn't even be able to use that Y-Cable.

The connection to my PC was lost, so today I downloaded the oldest firmware for the router and installed it, och now everything is working again. Still strange that it cant mount the drive with the latest firmware.......oh well...

Strange indeed. The filesystem driver used by the router has changed over time so in a sense it's not too surprising that it might have a problem. What is more surprising is that your Windows PC couldn't read it also.

For the benefit of others that may have the same problem what firmware version are you using now?

Strange indeed. The filesystem driver used by the router has changed over time so in a sense it's not too surprising that it might have a problem. What is more surprising is that your Windows PC couldn't read it also.

For the benefit of others that may have the same problem what firmware version are you using now?

I downloaded the oldest one they had on ASUS website; 3.0.0.4.382.50470

Thank you for trying to help me! :)

Hi to all, I have the very similiar problem - I was running Merlin 384.15 jumped to .16 beta - now the usb key says unmounted.... tried to get the FW back to 384.15 - restart router - replug drive... scan let it scan the router / format it... nothing works... formating stops usually at 7% or 17% tried other USB drive... one of it is USB3 other old USB2 - now both drives seems to be not working even when plugged to PC... they want to format, but it halts and nothing moves on, in disk manager I cant even delete the volume or partition - same with "diskpart" command its same story... so looks like 2 bricked/damaged USB keys and router working but no additional features like SKYNET or others as they rely on data on the USB key - any suggestions how to proceed? - thanks

Try a 'new' new USB drive. :)

Not all drives are compatible. I had to find another use for a few drives that acted as if both the drives and the routers were broken when they were plugged in.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!