What's new

USB file share with Chromebook 15 has me stumped.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

In case anyone comes across this in future the only thing that worked today with the Chromebook 15 v85 and the Asus USB drive feature was one Chrome store app called "File system for windows" .. using Colin's recommendation to turn on the simpler sharing name feature in the AsusMerlin and use the router address and file name. The built in Chrome OS SMB did not work.

If you want to make an old printer work.
I have it working with a Brother MFC 8710DW and MFC 7860DW.

Which Chromebook do you have? I don't want to give @L&LD the satisfaction. :D

I had a similar problem mounting a share. I tried a bunch of mapping and finally found success when I logged into the router, selected the username and "changed" the password for that user (I actually kept the same password). Saved and then immediately re-tried login and this time I was successful. I needed to use the path with the name of the drive in parens - e.g., "\\192.168.1.1\edstuff (at TRAVELDRIVE)" . No idea if it's voodoo, but I had to do this reproducibly for this machine only.

the solution is the brown box on the floor next to me... I will factory reset this chromebook and return it tomorrow in that box. My problems will be solved

Unfortunate perhaps - as ChromeOS is a first class SMB client...

I'm still thinking this is a permissions issue here on the SMB Server side.

I should have known this about google and Chromebook.

Once the device reaches AUE, the Chrome browser stops receiving updates, too.

They are working to separate this out, but still, it is just another reason to not support google with its built-in obsolescence.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!