What's new

USB GPS instead of NTP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fascinating. So the router can function as a local NTP server syncd tool this? However difficult is it tonight set up overall and does it use much resources?

Thanks.. well actually digging around an old box of cables tonight I found a GPS dongle circa 2010. Would that work through a USB hub to the USB2 port where I now have a 16GB EXT4 flash drive?

Would that work through a USB hub to the USB2 port where I now have a 16GB EXT4 flash drive?

I'll leave that answer up to the others as I know absolutely nothing about USB GSP dongles, except where to stick 'em :D

USB GPS stick aka GMouse perhaps okay for navigation but not recommended for keeping time.

I think you would be far better off sync'ing time over good NTP servers on Internet in terms of effort getting it work on Asus routers and return in time accuracy.

Why would NTP be more accurate than GPS? Still a cool feature though.
Especially if it can sync before the network is even up.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Haha, just wanted to brag about an old, outdated but widely used and highly functional and reliable 'Atomic' time signal that kept the Germans and us Swiss on time and extremely punctual. All the other countries in Europe seem not to care from our perspective...
Well, here in Spain, my Casio watch checks every day the time against your Frankfurt station (the long wave reaches so far ...)
So, I am always on time and try to be punctual also ;).

Having a local NTP at the router should be great for me. I have a lot rules for my children than depends on having the correct time, and my secondary router used as AP (a TPlink) looses the hour every time there is a power supply interrupt... (maybe intentional?), and I have to recall the NTP time manually due to a FW glitch. Having an autonomous time source then sounds good.

Last edited:
Place your stick near a window. Borrow a sauce pan from wife's kitchen. Put the stick on the pan (itself upside down)....
If you have aluminum mini-blinds just close the blinds and push the USB stick into one of the slits between the blinds. Now you've got a big reflector for the GPS receiver.

If you have aluminum mini-blinds just close the blinds and push the USB stick into one of the slits between the blinds. Now you've got a big reflector for the GPS receiver.

I believe the metallic blinds not acting as reflector but absorber. It's like the pan I suggested in my previous post. People didn't take that as a joke right? Don't quote on me..I heard from RF guys.

Hi,

I’m trying to figure out how to sync the time zone in my Asus RT-AC87U after upgrading with Merlin’s 384.7 but have not been successful. Anyone has any good step-by-step instructions on how to do this by using NTP’s website or GPS?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IF you want to reflect RF signal you have to use magnetic steel. Folie dont reflect RF signal.

I believe the metallic blinds not acting as reflector but absorber. It's like the pan I suggested in my previous post. People didn't take that as a joke right? Don't quote on me..I heard from RF guys.
It's also possible to hide the USB stick behind the vinyl siding of a house, when there is no window to display a frying pan. The GPS radio waves pass right through the plastic. Use a long drill bit to go through the exterior wall, to run the USB cable. And then weatherproof by filling the hole with caulk.

Out of curiosity, whats the hype of having such an accurate clock on your router, or is it just one of those "because I can" situations which I totally understand :p
This is a "because i can" project if I ever saw one. :p

My stratum 1 NTP server has gone public.

It's among top of the league in Rasp Pi/SBC server world from data I've seen online so far.

It's also ntppool project but the zone data is not right and I'm in the process of getting it corrected. Also by design it's IPv6 only.

If your machines are in SE Asia/Taiwan/Southern China, feel free to make use of it.

3XFg2gD.png

Please note that abusive use will be auto detected and counter measured.

After ~36 hours, my server finally scores a perfect 20 on ntppool project's dashboard.

Locally the system clock (connected to GPS) is well within an offset ~200ns from the "true" time.

Sync'ing across the Pacific ocean, the LA monitor station registers an offset within ~1ms most of the time. That's surprising good.

Within the past 24 hours, over 230k requests answered from more than 60k clients around the globe.

Requests come in waves. Very interesting.. Big waves around 4 hours apart. In-between with smaller waves.

Most requests from Far East. Non trivial numbers from N America, S South America, Oceania, Middle East, Near East as well as other parts of Europe.

Very surprised to see it could help so many people. I should turn up the tap. At the moment, consumes merely ~40MB data.

LDzK2Nb.png

End of update :rolleyes:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!