What's new

USB HDD connected to USB 2.0 port on RT68P being mounted with '(1)' appended to the disk label

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

knubbze

Occasional Visitor
I am experiencing an annoying and seemingly random problem with my AC68P running Merlin's AsusWRT 378.55 (but the problem has persisted with every version that I've run so far).

The issue is that the USB HDD connected to the USB 2.0 port is sometimes mounted with '(1)' appended to the disk label. This results in my Entware setup not working due to the paths not being as specified in the configuration files.

Here is the output of 'df' in the shell:

Code:
/dev/sdc1            1953512444 1582981860 370530584  81% /tmp/mnt/2TB(1)

I've been investigating this issue and trying to figure out what's going on, and it appears that during the boot process, this HDD is first mounted at /dev/sda1 as tmp/mnt/2TB, and then for some reason, it is unmounted and remounted at /dev/sdc1 as tmp/mnt/2TB(1). For example, if I log into the router via SSH and type 'df' as soon as the router has come online after a reboot, the HDD is correctly mounted as '2TB' (at /dev/sda1), but then if I wait a small while and type 'df' again, the HDD has not been remounted as '2TB(1)' at /dev/sdc1.

The syslog also shows information on this, but I am unable to understand most of what it reports. I have uploaded it here: http://pastebin.com/EwVwtQrQ

I have another drive connected to the USB 3.0 port, which is always mounted correctly.

Last edited:
You need to give the drive a name and mount it using the name. Search the forums, you will find more specifics there.

I have assigned it a label; that is not the issue here.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Maybe it doesn't like a number to be the first character?

Maybe it doesn't like a number to be the first character?
Again, that's not the issue. The other drive also has a number as the first character of the disk label and doesn't have this problem.

What file system format do the drives have?

I hope others can help more too. But I find that when things don't work, it is best to make sure the basics are checked and double checked. :)

No, as I said above, the disk label isn't the issue here. I appreciate you trying to help, but perhaps someone else might have more insight into this problem.

Do you have 'Enable DLNA Media Server' = On ?

Well looking at your syslog I can see what is happening.... Unfortunately I'm not clever enough to understand why it's happening.

The log start with this:

Jan 1 00:00:23 kernel: [xhci-hub] usb2mode:[0]

Then whilst router is in the middle of initialising sdb it issues this command:

Jan 1 00:00:25 rc_service: asus_sd 710:notify_rc restart_xhcimode 2

It carries on initialising and then mounting /dev/sdb1 on /tmp/mnt/2TB at the same time that it's restarting the USB subsystem!

Because /dev/sdb1 is still active at this time the disk gets remounted on /dev/sdc as 2TB(1).

/dev/sdb1 eventually gets removed about 50 seconds later:

Jul 27 12:17:34 hotplug[1137]: USB partition unmounted from /tmp/mnt/2TB

It might be worth disabling any post-mount scripts and/or the other USB disk to see if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
I see that the disk is identified as a Seagate. There have been some problems with the Seagate Externals having trouble waking from their sleep modes fast enough to satisfy the router.
The reason Colin saw that the USB subsystem was restarted was due to errors connecting to the drive. As part of the recovery, it tries to restart USB. My hypothesis would be that it works when the drive is up and spinning, and fails if it is asleep.

Do you have a different drive to try?

If that is the case, could a 'pause' command help here?

If that is the case, could a 'pause' command help here?
Don't think so (but could easily be proven wrong :) )....I think the timings are embedded in the USB and/or NTFS driver. He might try reformatting the drive to EXT3 or EXT4 and see if it changes the behavior.

I see the EXT4 file format answer in post #7 was changed to NTFS. I think the issue has been solved. :)

Once john9527's suggestion is implemented. ;)

I see the EXT4 file format answer in post #7 was changed to NTFS. I think the issue has been solved. :)

Once john9527's suggestion is implemented. ;)

Incorrect - I edited the post because I had wondered if that was the issue, so I reformatted the drive to ext4 and the same thing keeps happening. I am still looking for help to fix this.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!