What's new

USB HDD connected to USB 2.0 port on RT68P being mounted with '(1)' appended to the disk label

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SWAG.....what is your setting for 'Reduce USB 3 interference' on the 2.4GHz Wireless/Professional tab?
If it's enabled, I wonder if its restarting xhci to reduce the USB 3 speed?

Incorrect - I edited the post because I had wondered if that was the issue, so I reformatted the drive to ext4 and the same thing keeps happening. I am still looking for help to fix this.

Unmount the drive and then telnet/ssh back in, and check to see if you have something over in

/tmp/mnt/

Shouldn't have anything there if the drive is not attached..

SWAG.....what is your setting for 'Reduce USB 3 interference' on the 2.4GHz Wireless/Professional tab?

I just checked the setting, and 'Reduce USB 3 interference' was enabled, so I disabled it as you suggested and rebooted, and guess what - both drives now mounted properly! I will reboot another few times over the weekend to make sure that this setting resolves the issue, but thanks so much for this solution - it was driving me insane!

Interesting! If so, what a lousy implementation. Is it consistently reproducible though..? Maybe @knubbze could give us an update after a few weeks of use (with multiple reboots in between hopefully)

Interesting! If so, what a lousy implementation. Is it consistently reproducible though..? Maybe @knubbze could give us an update after a few weeks of use (with multiple reboots in between hopefully)
I agree.....and quite frankly I almost didn't post. It couldn't be that :)
Will be interesting to see if it was just coincidence or it it holds.

I will reboot the router a few times this evening and will report back. *fingers crossed*

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Well, I'm glad to report that I have rebooted the router 3 times this evening, and each time the drives were mounted correctly. I wanted to be extra-sure, so I enabled 'Reduce USB 3 interference', waited for the router to reboot (it appears that toggling this setting triggers a reboot), and guess what? The problem came back. So, it looks like john9527 has found the solution!

Some hard disks are not compatible with that option, which tries to force the disk to downgrade its interface to USB 2.0.

Asus decided to enable it by default because they felt that having optimal wireless performance was more important than USB performance/stability.

Some hard disks are not compatible with that option, which tries to force the disk to downgrade its interface to USB 2.0.

Asus decided to enable it by default because they felt that having optimal wireless performance was more important than USB performance/stability.
Well, as I stated in the first post - this HDD is connected to the USB 2.0 port, not the 3.0 port. I do also have a USB 3.0 flash drive connected to the USB 3.0 port, but the problem didn't happen with this drive/port.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!