What's new

USB Issues in AP Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RangerZ

Regular Contributor
I have 2 RT-AC1900P running in AP Mode (wireless AiMesh) on Merlin 386.2-6. I have been testing these over the last few weeks on various ASUS and now Merlin FW as both Router/Node and now AP/Node configurations. I did not test AP/Node under ASUS FW. The primary functions are provided by a Unifi Router, the Primary AP is at 192.168.111.229 and the AP Node at 192.168.111.206.

I set up USB functionality on the Primary AP, disabling the media player, and it works as expected. Previously, under ASUS firmaware I had another USB device connected to what was the Router, now the AP node, which I did not remove (each device has a different USB connected).

Independently I was testing some Roku DLNA functionality and noticed the router advertising itself as a DLNA Server. When I opened the "media player" I noticed that it was the USB device connected to the AP Node, not the USB connected to the Primary AP.

• I am unable to see a way to access USB functionality of the AP node from the primary AP.
  • I do not see any indicators of a second device being set up in the Network Map or under USB Application configuration.
  • I am unable to login via browser to the AP Node (.206), I get redirected to the primary node (.229).
  • I can see 2 "Network Devices" in Windows file Explorer.
    • One has the name and USB stick I configured on the AP (expected).
    • The second has what I believe may be the default device name of the second "router" and below that the set of folders on the USB drive (called Yellow_128). I need to enter credentials to access these folders, which are the Primary AP creds.
I expect that this configuration is a rarity, may not be well tested and honestly may not be a Merlin issue. I am not clear if USB is\should be supported on both nodes under AP Mode. I think that under standard FW in "Default" mode I could do this. IIRC, I got as far as getting a login screen but did not go any further.

As yet I have not tried to remove and replace the USB in the AP Node. I thought if someone wants to debug this I would wait for someone smarter than I.

Also, FWIW, the device that is the current AP Node was configured for USB with the Media Player enabled (Default) settings when it was main router under the latest ASUS FW (RT-AC1900P_3.0.0.4_386_43129)

And of course I had to test performance:
  • USB 3 with a Microcenter 3.0 USB with SMB2 over Ethernet: 270Mbps (W) and 520 Mbps (R)
  • USB 3 with a Microcenter 3.0 USB with SMB2 over Wireless @ ~25ft: 175 Mbps (W) and 250 Mbps (R).
Measured with Totusoft LanSpeedTest 1.32.

Unrelated, after changing to AP mode I did not move the cable from the WAN port to a LAN port. Are these all LAN ports now or is this an uplink port?

Duhh, User Error (or lack of knowledge)
AiMesh => Select the Node => Management => USB Application
This will open a window to configure the USB Application for the node.

So it appears that the functionality is enabled by default and just connecting a USB device will allow it to function with defaults.

Duhh, User Error (or lack of knowledge)
AiMesh => Select the Node => Management => USB Application
This will open a window to configure the USB Application for the node.

So it appears that the functionality is enabled by default and just connecting a USB device will allow it to function with defaults.
But I think there is no way to start a mediaserver from there?
I`m stuck in that window where to choose an application.
Only SMB works by default for me.
No FTP or DLNA functionality (?).

So above I say that "This will open a window to configure...".
It actually opens a login window to the other router. See the IP address in the URL line at the top. Same creds as the primary device.

From there there are 3 sections: Servers Center, Time Machine and Download Master.
Servers Center is not clickable but below it should say
Setup the UPnP, iTunes, FTP and Network Place (Samba)

The
old manual (at least mine for the 1900P) does say DLNA in it, but the tern DLNA does not appear in the menus. See this Link. The "Enable UPnP" Media Server" appears to be DLNA. I just flicked it on and off and say the appropriate icon appear in Windows file Explorer.

I can access the FTP menu, but do not use it. Not seeing the point TBH.

I can also access the Network Places and there is, at least in Merlin, a drop down for Samba options.

Not sure where you are lost. Hope it's covered here.

NOW I got the point:
This works only if language is switched to ENGLISH!!!
If you choose "GERMAN" there is nothing to choose but "Servers Center, Time Machine and Download Master"...

I don´t know why but now I found this solution ^^^^!
Tomorrow i will move my SSD-drive from main-router to node and test again.

Thanks to RangerZ for pushing me and good night to all.

Hello
Please forgive my ignorance, but where do I type AiMesh => Select the Node => Management => USB Application?
I don't have an Airmesh button on the GUI of my Asus Bluecave to access this, only the Airmesh button on the network map page.

Thanks for any help
Jonnym
AiMesh router Bluecave firmware version: 3.0.0.4.384_46630-g3e43ad7
AiMesh node RT-AC68U, firmware version: 3.0.0.4.386_41634-g08f88ae

Last edited:
Unfortunately the BlueCave is on v ...384 which I believe is AiMesh 1.0. The AiMesh menu option does not appear until the ..386 FW which is AiMesh 2.0. I do not see a newer version of FW (ie 386) for this device. There is a beta 9...384, but I suspect will not help you.

Maybe others know.

Unfortunately the BlueCave is on v ...384 which I believe is AiMesh 1.0. The AiMesh menu option does not appear until the ..386 FW which is AiMesh 2.0. I do not see a newer version of FW (ie 386) for this device. There is a beta 9...384, but I suspect will not help you.

Maybe others know.
Thanks for the help:eek:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!