What's new

USB printing issues using router as print server.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xrayed

New Around Here
I have an HP 1320 connected to my AC68U router via USB cable. I did the proper setup and it works as a network printer. I have to reboot the router every other day to "refresh" the connection as the printer will stop working and jobs will just hang in the queue. Is there something I am missing that is causing this timeout or is it just the nature of the beast? Once rebooted all waiting jobs will print. Does not matter if I send from my laptop wirelessly or my wired desktop.

Wow, 70 reads and no one has a comment? am I the only one using this option or the only one with the problem????

That is a very small list, wow ASUS really killed that feature. Mine works although not on supported list but it just does not keep a sustained connection. A reboot refreshes the connection like the USB goes to into power save mode or something like that. So compatibility wise I think its fine, my guess is there should be a setting on USB port to disable time out or sleep mode....

That is a very small list
Yes. But they did say those are just the ones they tested with. Seems like old info, perhaps because many printers come with built-in networking. I've never used it but it looks like they have two printer widgets, asus and lpr. Which are you using?
does not keep a sustained connection
I run a usb "disk" on my asus with no "sleeping" problems. Perhaps it's the printer going to sleep and not the usb port? What happens if you simply "power" the printer (or something) before printing?

I assume you've already tried both USB ports and/or you're using usb 2 rather than 3?

Good luck. It's frustrating when things "almost" work ...

Last edited:
Thanks Klueless, I am using port 2 as I have an aux HDD on port 3 using the USB 3.0 capability. The printer does not sleep as ready lite is always on. This is a pre energy saver one . LOL So power cycling the printer does not change the problem.
Wait, found something I can try, I have been using a conversion cable that converts standard printer output to usb, I just realized it does have a usb output. I will switch cables and see it it makes a difference. Don't know why I went that route in the first place other than I did not look at the back very good .

Ok switched cables and had to reload printer. Strange thing was I could not print test sheet at first but the printer randomly printed out a a blank sheet with smiley faces going across the top of page about 1/2 inch down. Did this about 3 times without a print request????After the third attempt i got it working. We will see how it performs in the long run.

Update: It seems to be working better. So far print requests are working or t least triggering a response from the printer. Still get an error sometimes but then its prints the job anyway. kind of like a memory buffer overrun ???

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. So ... not quite happy but not grumpy either? There's another thread out talking about printer problems, maybe you'll find something useful in it?

In case someone stumbles on this thread later ... Solved with ASUS Merlin v384.7_2. When I received it, my AC68 had T-mobile 3.0.0.4.376_3199 and corresponding CFE. Changing to CFE 1.0.2.0 AIMesh and recent ASUS Merlin build solved the printer problem, plus I was able to disable SIP Passthrough that was messing with my VOIP. And as Merlin explains, the new software won't auto-update https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/issues/120

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!