What's new

USB Tethering Speeds - ASUS RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nazeer Bhamji

New Around Here
I have this on the latest official firmware USB tethered to a Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018). On 2.4ghz or a wired connection the maximum download rate I can get is around 30mbps. On 5ghz band I can get a higher throuput typically around 55mpbs. I can understand why it may be slower on the 2.4ghz band but it is completely throwing me why a wired connection should be slower. Have tried different network cables (Cat 5e) and no difference.

Tried to install John's fork but then I can't get tethering to work so don't know if that would be any better.

Any ideas? Thanks

What device are you using to test with?

The download rate is mostly based on your cellular connection. Whether you are connected to the router via 2.4, 5 or wired all those connection types can easily handle the speeds that your cellular connection appears to be providing based on the speed values you mentioned. A good way to check things are to run a number speed tests on the phone and get an average. Then run a number of test on your connected device and compare the results.

What cellular carrier are you using? Certain carriers will throttle tethering which might affect your results.

I am using a USB cable to connect the Samsung A8 on Vodafone to the router.

I have ran multiple speed tests and the 2.4ghz and wired connections max out around 30mbps. Only 5ghz connection gives me around 50mbps. Stumped by it.

I know this is an old thread but the speed through the router cannot be greater than the speed your phone can achieve through it's cellular connection. Try running a speed test from the A8 and see what you get. If you're getting 30-50Mbps on a 4g+ link you're doing pretty well. That kind of speed will support multiple HD streams and should be sufficient for most households. As mentioned, some ISP's throttle hotspot/tethered connections.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!