What's new

USB WAN Connection no longer works on AC1900P 386.3_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Todd Snigg

New Around Here
Bit of a weird issue here. I have a RT-AC1900P running Merlin 386.3_2. I have previously been able to use a Novatel Wireless MiFi 6620L to access Verizon 4G when my cable modem acts up. I do this by manually selecting the USB WAN. But this isn't working anymore. I cannot get a connection. I have tested the MiFi and it works with a normal wireless client AND it works as the USB WAN on my old RTN66U running 380.62_1. (I fired it up just to test this).

Interestingly when on the RT-N66U the line for 'Telecommunications Standards' is WCDMA(UMTS)/LTE while on the AC-1900P it says CDMA2000 (EVDO) which seems wrong. But I can't change that on the Automatic settings and it doesn't appear in the manual settings for USB WAN.

It has probably been six months or more since I last tried to use the USB WAN. Could this be a firmware change that affected this functionality? I have yet to try a factory reset but I that is probably next on the list.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Todd

Interestingly when on the RT-N66U the line for 'Telecommunications Standards' is WCDMA(UMTS)/LTE while on the AC-1900P it says CDMA2000 (EVDO) which seems wrong. But I can't change that on the Automatic settings and it doesn't appear in the manual settings for USB WAN.
Try changing APN Configuration to Manual. Then either select a country or "Others".

Untitled.png

Thanks Colin. I gave this a try using manual configuration as you suggested. I wasn't able to get it to work. But when I went back and switched it to Automatic, the WCDMA (UMTS)/LTE was still there instead of CDMA2000. So I tried to apply the automatic settings and that also didn't work.

I will try a factory reset.

Thanks again for the quick reply.
Todd

Update:
After a factory reset I still was not able to get it to work initially. I manually configured the USB WAN as you showed and nothing. Then I flipped it back to Automatic, it retained the settings from the manual configuration (WCDMA UMTS LTE) and THEN it worked. I was able to pull an IP from my cell provider. Success! But it was fleeting. I put turned my WAN setting back to normal (cable modem) thinking I again had a reliable backup WAN source. Two days later I tried to re-engage the USB WAN and no dice. Same nagging issue. I didn't change any other settings besides flipping the WAN from WAN to USB. Very frustrating.

I will try the WPS Button Factory Wipe mentioned by L&LD here.

Hopefully that will fix it. Does the factory reset clear out the JFFS data as well?

I appreciate any other tips.

Todd

From what I can gather the 6620L was released in 2014 and is now regarded as obsolete. My gut feeling is that this device simply isn't supported by the recent firmwares and no amount a router resets will make it work reliably. I think if I were you I'd look at replacing it with a stand-alone LTE modem that simply presents itself as just another Ethernet device (i.e. no device configuration required by the router) and use the Dual WAN/Ethernet LAN option for it.