What's new

Use Samsung Evo 860 SSD in small NAS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You can use it (860 EVO) in a NAS no problem it won’t affect your warranty or anything, of course support would not recommend it as they’d want to push you to their Enterprise models with stuff like power loss protection and higher inherent over provisioning, eTLC/eMLC NAND etc. 860 EVO is no different than a WD Red which also a rebadged consumer drive (WD Blue).

Also yes if you are doing mostly sequential transfers your network would be the limiting factor but if you have lots of random reads/writes the SSD would still be far superior to a HDD even taking the network limitations into account.

I personally have 2 old Crucial MX100 SSDs alongside spinners in my Netgear NAS, which has TRIM support. Crucial aka Micron consumer drives have a partial power loss protection if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
You can use it (860 EVO) in a NAS no problem it won’t affect your warranty or anything, of course support would not recommend it as they’d want to push you to their Enterprise models with stuff like power loss protection and higher inherent over provisioning, eTLC/eMLC NAND etc. 860 EVO is no different than a WD Red which also a rebadged consumer drive (WD Blue).

Also yes if you are doing mostly sequential transfers your network would be the limiting factor but if you have lots of random reads/writes the SSD would still be far superior to a HDD even taking the network limitations into account.

I personally have 2 old Crucial MX100 SSDs alongside spinners in my Netgear NAS, which has TRIM support. Crucial aka Micron consumer drives have a partial power loss protection if I recall correctly.
Thank you for the reply ! I plan to attach this directly via Thunderbolt (USB-C) to a macMini M1
Thats what I am getting today: https://www.owcdigital.com/products/mercury-elite-pro-dual-usb-c

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!