What's new

Use VPN for all traffic except one website?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Aaron_A

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,

I'm really sorry if this has been covered, but I wasn't able to find a solution via the search function. Feel free to delete post if necessary.

What I want is very basic. I'm running an OpenVPN client on my Asus router (latest Merlin firmware). I want all of my internet traffic to go through the VPN tunnel, with the exception of one website. Is this possible? If so, how do I achieve it?
What's the simplest way to tell the router that access to this specific website mustn't go through the VPN?

Thank you in advance. Sorry if this is too basic, but I would really appreciate some help.

Use the "Better Search" function to find more posts in the Merlin forum covering this subject.

Beware, you can't actually tell it to bypass the VPN for a specific "website", if by that you mean a specific domain name. In order to do that, YOU would have to manually resolve that domain name to its explicit IP(s), then add those to the VPN Director.

However, the following can.

Granted, probably overkill in some cases, esp. if you know a given domain is very unlikely to change its resolution over time. But there are cases where this happens quite frequently, or perhaps you want to route a domain and all its sub-domains too. A very common need when dealing w/ streaming content providers like Amazon and Netflix who have literally 100's of sub-domains, making it impractical to know them all, let alone resolve them all manually.

Beware, you can't actually tell it to bypass the VPN for a specific "website", if by that you mean a specific domain name. In order to do that, YOU would have to manually resolve that domain name to its explicit IP(s), then add those to the VPN Director.

However, the following can.

Granted, probably overkill in some cases, esp. if you know a given domain is very unlikely to change its resolution over time. But there are cases where this happens quite frequently, or perhaps you want to route a domain and all its sub-domains too. A very common need when dealing w/ streaming content providers like Amazon and Netflix who have literally 100's of sub-domains, making it impractical to know them all, let alone resolve them all manually.
Thanks for your response. Can I simply copy and paste that^ text into the openVPN client custom rules section, but replace the Netflix domains with that which I wish to evade the VPN tunnel?

Thanks for your response. Can I simply copy and paste that^ text into the openVPN client custom rules section, but replace the Netflix domains with that which I wish to evade the VPN tunnel?

If you're interested in the script, you have to install it as instructed in the directions. You do NOT paste it into the custom config field. It has to run as a separate script on bootup to support domain names.