What's new

Using MoCA to have a second Aciontec router in my home

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stephenp

New Around Here
Hi, I currently have verizon fios in my home and I have a Wireless N Actiontec router and my home has dead spots. I recently learned that i can use the Coax cable that runs through my Set top box and use a MoCA adapter. I would like to add a second router in my home (most likely another actiontec N router). What are the steps to take to add a second actiontec router to my home and would the speeds be the same as my primary router if i use a MoCA adapter to have a second router?

Hi, I currently have verizon fios in my home and I have a Wireless N Actiontec router and my home has dead spots. I recently learned that i can use the Coax cable that runs through my Set top box and use a MoCA adapter. I would like to add a second router in my home (most likely another actiontec N router). What are the steps to take to add a second actiontec router to my home and would the speeds be the same as my primary router if i use a MoCA adapter to have a second router?

The speed between your main router and a secondary router in access point only mode would be about 270 Mb/s max, which is probably considerably faster little to no wifi, and also faster than your internet signal. Probably fast enough to do some inter-house video streaming, but it's not screaming fast for moving big files or doing backups.

You should be able to get any MoCA adapter from Amazon and it should work fine. I used to have a few Aciontec MoCA adapters in my home.

hth

Last edited:
Hi stephenp,

I wanted to let you know that before you buy the MoCa adapter, that to make sure that you purchase the model that is designed for Verizon Fios. Actiontec makes two models of these adapters, the ECB2500CK01 is designed to be used with cable TV service, while the ECB2200V is designed to be used by Verizon Fios.

I wanted to mention this to you only because I've read some of the complaints on Amazon where cable TV users would buy the model designed for Fios and vice versa.

I use three ECB2500CK01 adapters in my home with my cable tv system and it works great. The adapter in my den is connected to a switch, which connects to all of my game consoles, Samsung Smart TV, and an extra router in bridge mode. I also use my MoCa network to stream 28gb ripped Blu Ray MKV's from my media server to Samsung Smart TV and I couldn't be happier. Everything works great as far as connectivity is concerned so I must say that I am a true believer in MoCa. It really is a great alternative to whole home wired Ethernet installation.

ONE router per home network.
More coverage? Use an access point (AP). A WiFi router can be re-purposed as an AP with the right config. In this case, the WAN port is unused. See FAQs.

Cascaded routers.. not good.

If you have Verizon's latest Actiontec 424I router, it has a built in MOCA adapter. All you need for your project a single adapter for around $70 from Amazon. The set up is as simple as connecting three wires (coax, Ethernet and power ) No software to install or adjustments needed on your network. It just works.

If there are any splitters in in your coax network they do need to be able to pass at least 1100 Mhz. Standard CATV splitters only pass 900 Mhz.

I have an AP connected using MOCA and it works perfectly. It passes all the bandwidth I get from FIOS and more. I don't have any devices with gigabyte adapters so I can't tell you if it actually will pass 270 Mbps.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!