What's new

Using NAS through portable router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Elektriniknshit

New Around Here
Hey peps of SNB forum!

First time poster and beginner at networking- and NAS systems.
I’m playing with the idea of setting up a NAS coupled with my home router, either a prebuilt by Synology, Qnap etc; or a diy system running some dist of Linux. Either way, my question is the following:
Say I have the NAS connected to my home router and ip-adress, if I would have a portable router using the same provider etc. is it possible to access my NAS through that?
I know that most commercial NAS systems offer some sort of easy global access through browser, so my question applies mostly to having a diy NAS system.

Appreciate any answers with tips of what to do or tips of literature to read :)

If the portable router has an Ethernet LAN port, then you should be able to access your NAS if it is connected to that port.

If it is Wi-Fi only, then you need to connect the NAS to a Wi-Fi bridge. Many routers now can be configured as Wi-Fi bridges.

If the portable router has an Ethernet LAN port, then you should be able to access your NAS if it is connected to that port.

If it is Wi-Fi only, then you need to connect the NAS to a Wi-Fi bridge. Many routers now can be configured as Wi-Fi bridges.
That is true. I think I found the answer to my question, seems as that portable routers use a SIM for internet access. If it is a fixed IP SIM it seems as you would be able to have the same IP adress as home router. I have no idea how this would be executed in practice though, any ideas? o_O

The WAN connection IP address doesn't matter. You want the NAS and everything else connected to the LAN side. If you can't set the LAN IP address and DHCP server range, then change the NAS IP address to an unused one in the same subnet range that is outside the DHCP range.

Just note that most 4G/5G telco operators do not allow inbound access to servers...

@Elektriniknshit I think there might have been some confusion in the previous replies on how you intend to use the "portable" router. The previous replies have assumed that this portable router is going to replace your "home router". Is this the case? Or is the intention to use the portable router as a remote client (e.g. when travelling) to link back to your home router?

Say I have the NAS connected to my home router and ip-adress, if I would have a portable router using the same provider etc. is it possible to access my NAS through that?
I know that most commercial NAS systems offer some sort of easy global access through browser, so my question applies mostly to having a diy NAS system.

Appreciate any answers with tips of what to do or tips of literature to read :)
I'm basically paranoid so I avoid the "easy global access through browser" technique, but some router vendors - QNAP for sure, and, I think, Synology, for example - offer OpenVPN servers on their NAS systems. You have to expose the VPN's port through your router, but then any device capable of running an OpenVPN client could be set up to access your NAS.

If you got the DIY route you would have to install the OpenVPN server on your NAS. The OpenVPN "Community Edition" server is free but comes with the following warning: "Because it is open source, CE is entirely free to deploy — however, it does require a strong understanding of Linux and using the command line interface".

There are lots of OpenVPN web pages to help you if you go that route. (I'm using the built in OpenVPN servers on an AUSU AC86U router running the Merlin code and on a QNAP NAS. I have absolutely no idea how to install the server.)

WAN connection IP address doesn't matter on Linux systems. It will automatically detect IP address.
But if the OP wants an inbound connection to the NAS (and if @sfx2000's comments somehow don't apply in this case) the WAN IP address is needed for that inbound connection.

I don't know if the OP is still following this thread, but I could use some clarifications.
  1. Would this "portable router" be the only access to the NAS, or do you want access through both the "portable router" and your regular home router?
  2. Do you want access to just the NAS's administrative GUI or do you want remote data access (SMB, etc.)?
If the NAS must (or can) be on your LAN then I think a VPN server - either on the NAS or in your home router - would give you the remove access you want (if I interpret you needs correctly). The IP address would then be the IP address provided by your ISP, and if that provided I{ address changes you could use a router with DDNS support.