What's new

Using Satellite and Rural Wireless ISPs on the same router Asus AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

faunus

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone!

Been a while, but that's because it all works so well!

My three 68's are working well, all with Merlin's 3.0.0.4.374.40_alpha4 firmware. One of them has run for over three months without reboot. Amazing! Thanks Merlin!

Anyways, I'm back on a new project to improve my d/l speeds...

I want to use two ISPs - one on satellite (xplorenet), one on wireless (local 5Ghz provider).

Has anyone any experience with this? I am concerned there wil be issues (latency etc.) but surely someone on here has tried it or would know?

My only other option is to pay another $100 a month for an additional receiver and antenna with the same 5Ghz provider (he refuses to allow me to pay the fee and just double my speed - even though their tech department demonstrated to me that all that was required was flipping a switch!! - he is not a nice man. To double up my speed he wants $499 a month - even though he knows I can link two $100 a month services together!).

And in any case, it would be on the same tower and subject to the same vagaries as my current service (erratic, inconsistent and deathly slow at times). And who wants to support a guy with an attitude like that?

But he is my only option, apart from satellite.

Rural residents have few options in Canada, sadly.

Here's hoping someone can get back to me!

PS There is one other option ADSL. I am 7km from their switch (Bell) but because my Bell BILLING and PHYSICAL address indicated I am 20km away Bell refuses to even look at it!!

Even techsavvy can do nothing as the use Bell to connect the service. Insane and irrational!! Bureaucracy over reason.

PS There is one other option ADSL. I am 7km from their switch (Bell) but because my Bell BILLING and PHYSICAL address indicated I am 20km away Bell refuses to even look at it!!

7 KM is still too far. Typical DSL range limitation is about 4.5 to 5 KM for very basic service (2-3 Mbits). Your only hope then would be for Bell to install a remote DSLAM to provide you with FTTN.

7 KM is still too far. Typical DSL range limitation is about 4.5 to 5 KM for very basic service (2-3 Mbits). Your only hope then would be for Bell to install a remote DSLAM to provide you with FTTN.

Actually I expect to get at least 1 Mbit, according to my research. My current 2.4 Ghz provider promises 5-6 Mbits at best, which I do get, but only at off peak times. Most times my average is 3 Mbits!!

You can see how desperate I am. At peak times I'm happy to get 1.5Mbits. And I have 19 devices connected to my router (at peak times)!

So even 1 Mbit extra is good... and satellite is my add on option.

Although I have used satellite (was the first retail user of lincsat over a decade ago) it is not great. The OTA 2.4Ghz is better.

So if I can combine satellite and OTA it would improve things.

I have a small business that employs a dozen local folk for over 30 years and for ALL that time I have needed connectivity to email and then the net. Many times I jury rigged OTA systems (some over 30km going back over 15 years) to save my business and livelihood.

When I go to the city and use cable internet I'm amazed at the "instantness" of it. You guys have no idea how lucky you are!!

I would pay a few thousand for a solution... but I'm not rich - I live in a trailer in a field!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!