What's new

Using ungrounded DirecTV cables for MoCA?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cyberclaw

New Around Here
We used to have DirecTV, and the RG6 cables are still in place. We would like to use them for a MoCA network. We purchased Actiontec ECB6200 MoCA 2.0 adapters for this purpose.

Here's the problem: when I looked carefully at the DirecTV cables, I noticed - to my horror - that they are not grounded. I am also fairly certain that the dish is not grounded either, as there is no evidence of any grounding cable coming from its location on the roof. I carefully inspected the RG6 cable, and there is no hidden grounding wire attached to it. If I were still a DirecTV customer, I would demand that they fix this. But alas, I haven't been with them for years.

There is another complicating factor: the DirecTV cable has two different entry points into the house. There is a first floor entry point, and a separate second floor entry point (which is out of reach). Both of the cables going to the two entry points are coming from a switch mounted on the roof (by DirecTV), which is connected to the unused satellite dish. Again, all of this is ungrounded.

I understand that, ideally, I would go on the roof to disconnect the cables from the dish. However, I strongly prefer to avoid that option. First, I would have to spend money on a ladder capable of reaching that height. But more importantly, I am dealing with a health issue and am very concerned that I would fall off. I don't want to take that risk.

So, this leads to my main question: how can I make this cable safe for MoCA without going on the roof?

One option is installing a ground block at the first floor entry point. On Amazon there is a well-reviewed ground block made by the Cimple Company (CMP-GRNDBLK-SGL). It is described as "3 GHz Ground Block - Single/One Port, High Frequency." If I installed this ground block at the first floor entry point, would that ground all of the cable on the first floor? If so, would it also ground the cable going to the second floor entry point, as they are connected by the switch mounted on the roof?

Also, would installing a ground block at the first floor entry point interfere with the MoCA signal between the first and second floor, as the signal would have to pass through the ground block and the roof-mounted switch.

Finally, should I be using ethernet and coaxial surge protectors on the MoCA network to resolve this, or is that inviting connection issues?

Thank you in advance for your help.

MOCA doesn't require the cables be grounded.

As for safety it certainly would be better that the dish was grounded and code probably requires it however it not being grounded doesn't surprise me. Based on the install that I had and observing other installs I don't remember ever seeing a ground installed. Some jurisdictions may have more vigilant code inspectors and force dishes to be grounded. Given a dish is on the roof it can be a long distance from the dish to the home's ground rod and hence it is a lot of extra work to properly ground it so it often doesn't get done. Also most people don't want to see a wire running down the side of their house.

Go ahead and install the grounding blocks if you are going to utilize any of the cable that runs outdoors and have someone remove the dish on the roof as if lightning hits your home the dish probably would be target #1.

I would not use any of the cable that goes outdoors. Either pull it back into the house or cut it off before it goes outside and remove all of the outdoor cable and dish.

Go ahead and install the grounding blocks if you are going to utilize any of the cable that runs outdoors and have someone remove the dish on the roof as if lightning hits your home the dish probably would be target #1.

Thank you for your help.

I'm only able to add a grounding block at the first floor entry point. The second floor entry point is only accessible from the roof, which I am trying to avoid. The cables to each entry point are connected by a switch on the roof.

Would the grounding block at the first floor entry point also ground the cable going to the second floor entry point, since they are connected by the roof-mounted switch?

Generally, you want the earthing block as close to the antenna that would receive the strike as possible. Any sharp bends or resistance to the high current flow in a strike will allow more current to take the alternate path ( into equipment and the house presumably).

Consult with someone familiar with the current electrical codes in your area or better yet someone who does commercial/ residential structure lightning protection as a business.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!