What's new

Using USB as Ethernet ASUS GT-AX11000 Router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thecolin85

New Around Here
Hey all! Hope people will see and comment on this thread. Not sure how active this forum is vs maybe another networking-only type forum is, but here goes!

I have the ASUS ROG GT-AX11000 router and it's worked fine for the last 1yr+. I have a 1200mbps down & 40mbps up internet plan from Xfinity. I spent way too much time and energy of my life trying to get those speeds to my desktop PC through the GT-AX11000. I now finally receive the hardware limitations of the device and how I'll never be able to achieve those speeds without more than just the one single 2.5g port on my ASUS router. Meaning, I can plug the ethernet (CAT8) from the modem's 2.5g port into the 2.5g port on the AX11000 just fine, but then all other ports henceforth are capped at 1g. I'm actually considering selling this router as it's mostly useless to me in that regard - I can't access the full speeds I'm paying for, so it's a waste. I've been eyeing the "lower" model new AX6000 as I've heard great things AND it has more than one 2.5g port. I'm 99% sure that'll allow me to get what I pay for. Alas, I want to try one last thing... the USB port!

In fact, ASUS makes this USB-to-Ethernet adapter: https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/Wired-Networking/Wired-Adapters/USB-C2500/

w692

iu

iu

I might be the only person in the world to be curious about this or try it, but what if I keep that same config I just laid out, except instead of using one of the 1g capped ethernet ports on the router to my desktop PC's 2.5g ethernet onboard port, I try using the USB 3.0 port on the AX11000 as an OUT and then plug the USB-Ethernet adapter there, THEN run that ethernet cable to my 2.5 Realtek onboard port on my ASUS Crosshair VIII motherboard?

It's a lot cheaper than a new router (i.e. AX6000), so I might give it a whirl just to see. But curious if anyone's tried it or thinks it technically could be achievable or if there's some limitation or inability I'm overlooking...

I should add I'm running the latest Merlin firmware etc on my router, and there does appear to be a configuration that allows for the USB port to be used as an ethernet in some fashion? See pics.

1662759507335.png

you could try the following to buy this device it is somewhat expensive TL-PA7017 KIT in amazon you will get 2 small devices well normal and in there you take it out and plug one of those into the network and together with the ethernet cable that it brings you in the box put it in the yellow one I say ethernet yellow one time I do this you have two ways on the other end I say other side you can plug in the second device that comes in the same box with its ethernet cable whether it is a PC or a router by the way if you want to put a router you must plug in router 2 in blue ethernet and then go to your computer in the 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 section I don't know if it has changed to modify the internal network parameters of the 2nd router and there it looks for LAN TO LAN or LAN TO WAN I don't know as it is and put static ip from there put the ip as if another device was connected to your internet if your pc was previously connected to this ip 192.168.1.10 - 255.255.255.0 - 192.168.1.1 because in the 2nd router you must enter 192.168.1.70 - two 55.255.255.0 - 192.168.1.1 and automatically you should get internet and it doesn't matter if your electricity goes out you will have internet again... I hope I have helped you

Hey all! Hope people will see and comment on this thread. Not sure how active this forum is vs maybe another networking-only type forum is, but here goes!

I have the ASUS ROG GT-AX11000 router and it's worked fine for the last 1yr+. I have a 1200mbps down & 40mbps up internet plan from Xfinity. I spent way too much time and energy of my life trying to get those speeds to my desktop PC through the GT-AX11000. I now finally receive the hardware limitations of the device and how I'll never be able to achieve those speeds without more than just the one single 2.5g port on my ASUS router. Meaning, I can plug the ethernet (CAT8) from the modem's 2.5g port into the 2.5g port on the AX11000 just fine, but then all other ports henceforth are capped at 1g. I'm actually considering selling this router as it's mostly useless to me in that regard - I can't access the full speeds I'm paying for, so it's a waste. I've been eyeing the "lower" model new AX6000 as I've heard great things AND it has more than one 2.5g port. I'm 99% sure that'll allow me to get what I pay for. Alas, I want to try one last thing... the USB port!

In fact, ASUS makes this USB-to-Ethernet adapter: https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/Wired-Networking/Wired-Adapters/USB-C2500/

w692

iu

iu

I might be the only person in the world to be curious about this or try it, but what if I keep that same config I just laid out, except instead of using one of the 1g capped ethernet ports on the router to my desktop PC's 2.5g ethernet onboard port, I try using the USB 3.0 port on the AX11000 as an OUT and then plug the USB-Ethernet adapter there, THEN run that ethernet cable to my 2.5 Realtek onboard port on my ASUS Crosshair VIII motherboard?

It's a lot cheaper than a new router (i.e. AX6000), so I might give it a whirl just to see. But curious if anyone's tried it or thinks it technically could be achievable or if there's some limitation or inability I'm overlooking...

I should add I'm running the latest Merlin firmware etc on my router, and there does appear to be a configuration that allows for the USB port to be used as an ethernet in some fashion? See pics.

View attachment 44128
when I need something I pick up the HDD connected to the pc and under the necessary programs etc and when I finish doing it I connect it to the router again in theory nothing happens you can try it. most likely it won't work or maybe it will, who knows... under your responsibility of course...

I am completely and utterly lost and more confused after reading these replies. While I appreciate the attempt to help, I'm going to pretend I didn't just try to understand all of that because my brain hurts and I'm no closer to the truth.

Hooking up my 2.5g/USB/Ethernet adapter now. Here goes nothing.

I am completely and utterly lost and more confused after reading these replies. While I appreciate the attempt to help, I'm going to pretend I didn't just try to understand all of that because my brain hurts and I'm no closer to the truth.

Hooking up my 2.5g/USB/Ethernet adapter now. Here goes nothing.
Let us know what happened :)

It worked!!! Sorry forgot to update the thread. I have another one going like this over on the ASUS ROG forums, due to my router. I am now able to crack over 1gbps (1000mbps) on my wired desktop connect! I have the main ethernet from the modem going into the USB 3.0 port via that adapter to my router. Then, using the 2.5g ethernet OUT port on the router, going to my desktop's onboard 2.5g port, I see speedtests over 1000mbps, sometimes 1100-1200mbps for a brief second. Now, if I plug directly from my modem to my desktop ethernet, I get 1300-1400mbps, easily over the 1200mbps of my ISP plan.

The more I am learning about networking and stuff, I've considered maybe ditching the ASUS router altogether and going with a semi-pro grade setup like the Unifi Dream Machine Pro with 1-2 wireless access points. Seems like it can do everything the ASUS can do if not more and better.

Hello, I am wondering if you could please help me with this exact issue and exact hardware.
I have the ASUS-C2500 USB Network adapter and the GT-AX11000 running merlin firmware; however when I tried to use it as USB Network port by enabling DUAL WAN and using USB as primary WAN it did not work.
I am thinking there is something in my configuration that was not correctly set up, my networking knowledge is somehow limited.
Could you please let me know your configuration and if you maybe had to do something like "loading drivers into merlin" for the USB as this user specifies on this post:
Any help you could provide me is kindly appreciated.

Apparently you can't use this interface as WAN in Asuswrt Dual WAN. It also doesn't work reliably with the interfaces available. Tons of information around with different solutions fixing Asuswrt Dual WAN from extra hardware before the Asus router to custom scripts. You're wasting your time.

mmmm I am unsure about the best course of action to take in this case; as you tell me it won't work on Asuswrt(I think you mean Merlin) but also many claim is doable, including the person who initiated this post, what would be your best recommendation in this case, in order to achieve the desired outcome? would you say to get rid of Asus Merlin or user a different USB adapter ? please let me know thanks for your help

This is not guaranteed to work with any USB-to-Ethernet adapter. Even if the adapter is recognized correctly and seemingly working you perhaps won't get 2.5GbE speeds. This is what previous experience shows. You can experiment, but the true fix is a router replacement with something with 2.5GbE WAN and 2.5GbE LAN port plus 2.5GbE switch for your wired devices. It won't be cheap and you decide if it's worth it. Your router is good for what it is.