What's new

Utilizing 3x RT-AC88U with my new ZenWiFi Pro ET12's

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

talisman2208

Occasional Visitor
Hello all.

I picked up a pair of ZenWiFi Pro ET12's to replace my 3x RT AC88U's

I have my 3x 88u's set up as as 1 main wireless router, 1 acting as wired AI node, and the other acting as a wireless AI Node.

I'm going to replace my main wireless router and wireless AI node with the 2 ET12's. My question is can I still use my original AC88U as a wired AI mesh? I understand it won't have 6ghz, but will it still mesh with the 2.4 and 5ghz networks, or do I need to buy another ET12?

Thanks!

Bonus question - does anyone have a guide on getting the ASUS VPN set up so you can access your home network from outside? I can't seem to find any good ones out there explaining how to do this. Thanks a bunch!

Welcome to the forums @talisman2208.

If the RT-AC88U can't be used in AiMesh node (even though it should be capable of it), then just use it as an AP.

Or, better yet, a Media Bridge to any (heavily used) wired-capable devices you may have. This will make your wireless network even more performant.

Are you talking about the OpenVPN server? Simply enable it, and download the .opvn file it creates into the devices you want to connect back to your network. Don't overthink this, it is very straightforward.

The AC88Us should work fine as wired nodes. If they do act weird though, you can set them up as their own separate AiMesh config with the same SSID. Set one up in AP mode and pair the other AC88s to it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!