What's new

Uverse gateway with 2wire WAP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BobW55

New Around Here
This is a strange one. My customer has a Uverse gateway. AT&T also installed an old 2Wire DSL gateway as a Wireless access point on the 2nd floor. AT&T left the default SSIDs and passwords on both units. I changed the SSID & password on the Uverse box but I couldn't log into the 2wire box using its IP address (DHCP). I decided to replace the 2wire with an access point. I could never get the new WAP to work. I tried a different WAP, no luck. I can log into the WAP on the network. The SSID, security type and password all match. I just can't connect to the network through the new WAP. I plugged directly into the network cable at the WAP location and it works great. I reinstalled the 2wire and it works. I tried a static IP address and a DHCP address at the WAP. The subnet mask and gateway addresses are correct. Is there something different with AT&T setups?
I'm wondering why I couldn't connect to the 2wire gateway with its current IP address?

This is a strange one. My customer has a Uverse gateway. AT&T also installed an old 2Wire DSL gateway as a Wireless access point on the 2nd floor. AT&T left the default SSIDs and passwords on both units. I changed the SSID & password on the Uverse box but I couldn't log into the 2wire box using its IP address (DHCP). I decided to replace the 2wire with an access point. I could never get the new WAP to work. I tried a different WAP, no luck. I can log into the WAP on the network. The SSID, security type and password all match. I just can't connect to the network through the new WAP. I plugged directly into the network cable at the WAP location and it works great. I reinstalled the 2wire and it works. I tried a static IP address and a DHCP address at the WAP. The subnet mask and gateway addresses are correct. Is there something different with AT&T setups?
I'm wondering why I couldn't connect to the 2wire gateway with its current IP address?

Hello? Did I Stump everyone?

You didn't give much to go on.
Do you get the admin login screen ?
ATT techs usually leave the information with the install.
contact ATT tech support.

You didn't give much to go on.
Do you get the admin login screen ?
ATT techs usually leave the information with the install.
contact ATT tech support.

I could log into the Uverse gateway at 192.168.1.254 without any problem. The 2wire gateway, set up as an access point, had an IP address in the DHCP range, 192.168.1.104. I could not get a response from the access point when I entered this address. Is there another way to contact the admin UI on the 2wire device? I tried http and https.
Also, I do wireless networks several times every week. Why wouldn't my access points connect to the Internet through the Uverse? I tried static IP addresses and DHCP. The subnet mask and gateway addresses are correct. I've been a systems integrator for 30 years. This one has me scratching my head.

i would talk with the ATT tech that set it up. Is it connected to the Uverse LAN through its WAN port or its LAN port ?

Check the logs in the Uverse box.

Plus, many times I've spent hours on the phone with AT&T support techs. Generally they know nothing past connecting a computer to the gateway. If it works there then they can't help.

One other thing, i think you have to plug directly into the lan port of the 2 wire from the PC. It cannot be on the LAN. Pass code is on the label.

Yes, it responds to a ping. My first choice was to replace the AP. I installed an ASUS router set up as an access point. It shows up on the network, I can pull up the admin screen when I'm connected to the gateway. The problem is that I can't connect through the new AP. I switched out APs and had the same problem.

You have directly connected the PC, with a static IP address on the same subnet, to the lan port of the 2 wire ?
That is how i had to configure my old 2 wire.

Maybe just put the Uverse gateway in bridge mode and add a separate router and access point. Or just double NAT with a new router if you need the gateway wireless and run the additional network APs downstream from there. i did the former when i switched from dsl.

I really appreciate you taking time to respond. On this job I will probably put the Uverse gateway into DMZ Plus mode and install a new router and WAPs. I'm really just trying to understand 1) why I couldn't access the 2wire device and 2) why my new WAPs wouldn't allow connections. I do this all of the time and I hate when I'm stumped. This house suffered lightning damage to most of the integrated systems about a year ago. Maybe it's just additional, undetected damage. I'm probably wasting energy trying to figure it out.

i would get ATT to replace the Uverse modem/router if you cannot get it to work in bridge mode or double NAT if it went through the lightning hit. Any phone line that had to be replaced after the hit ?

Not sure about the phone line. A couple of Ethernet switches had to be replaced. Lightning can do strange things. Again, thanks for the dialog.

Call ATT Customer Care - they'll probably want to schedule a truck roll with a premise tech to sort it - since all the gear is ATT, let them sort it....

Lightning definitely can do strange things. That's where I'd put my money. And sfx2000 is right, if it's at&t gear, let them fix it. Then you can take out their gear and swap it if you wish.

The uverse gateway is a major pain to get working as just a modem. Even the dmz+ mode isn't completely transparent as I had problems with an IPsec vpn router connecting when in the dmz+. I actually had to get a block of static IPs for it to work correctly--and those still went through the uverse gateway.

Really! I wish AT&T would have a modem-only option. Or, start supporting options like DDNS and VPN.

Thanks for the reply.

Really! I wish AT&T would have a modem-only option. Or, start supporting options like DDNS and VPN.

Thanks for the reply.
I agree that a straight modem would be nice. However, for most things, the dmz+ is actually better than most solutions since it actually gives the public ip to the device in the dmz+. Still, some sort of firewalling is going on as ipsec phase 2 negotiations would fail on a vpn router in dmz+.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!