What's new

YazFi Validation for some fields failed??? But what is the Issue?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SevenFactors

Regular Contributor
I found this YazFi in my search in trying to allow pihole DNS access to Guest SSIDs. Being able to have 2+ Guest SSIDs be able to communicate with each other but not with the intranet.

The installation via SSH went smoothly. Now setting it up via web-gui, I'm unable to save the setting. I get the following message on a popup

"Validation for some fields failed. Please correct invalid values and try again."

I'm seem to be for to use the IP already set by YazFi for the Guest SSID in the case 192.168.3.0.

- Can I set an a static IP?
- Will static IPs set by the DHCP server still work for guess devices?

It is unclear to me what I'm doing wrong that I YazFI keeps telling me to correct the invalid values when non are marked yet. I'm tried different IPs, public DNS ips and my pihole, all kind of access combination but it doesn't matter what I configuration I've set, I always get ""Validation for some fields failed. Please correct invalid values and try again."

Do you have any idea as to what could be the cause of this issue?

"Validation for some fields failed. Please correct invalid values and try again."

Something should be highlighted in red on the page. If it's not, please post a screenshot and I can take a look at what's invalid but isn't being shown correctly

Something should be highlighted in red on the page. If it's not, please post a screenshot and I can take a look at what's invalid but isn't being shown correctly
Hello

Here is a screen of the settings. The only fields that do change color if something is wrong are those for IPs. I've tried to save the settings as the pre-set settings and I still get the validation message.

I'm running Merlin 386.2_2

Thanks

Screenshot_2021-04-17 YazFi.png

Your DNS settings don't make a lot of sense, first you try to direct traffic to another network internally, then you also have a DNS server outside (google).
And you don't allow traffic to go to the LAN from Guest.

- Can I set an a static IP?
- Will static IPs set by the DHCP server still work for guess devices?
No, static IP's set by the DHCP server for the main LAN will not be assigned to Guest YazFi clients.

Yes, you can set static IP's for YazFi clients. See my write up on setting static IP's for YazFi clients in this post. Or see the YazFi Github Wiki at this link.

As to your problem. One thing to look at. Setting the Force DNS option to Yes pretty much just forces the YazFi client to use DNS1. As such DNS2 is typically not used, but it's field still needs a value in it. When using Force DNS, if DNS1 goes down YazFi clients won't be able to resolve DNS, because it won't roll over to DNS2, and will typically fail to display the correct URL/web page. So in your case make sure 192.168.1.53 (ie DNS1) is a valid IP address and what ever is there (a Pi-Hole by chance?) is working for issuing DNS responses.

Edit to add: Couple of other suggestions. Make sure no other IP Address values on that page are using 192.168.3.0. Check the IP Address values for the 5Ghz to make sure there is no conflict with any of the IP address field values used in the 2.4Ghz section or in the 5Ghz section. Go into the YazFi command line terminal menu (using SSH), select option 3, and look at the configuration of the settings manually. May be something there that is off or misconfigured. Save any changes then select option 1 to apply the updates. Watch to see if it shows any error messages during it's validation and applying the config script.

Last edited:
Your DNS settings don't make a lot of sense, first you try to direct traffic to another network internally, then you also have a DNS server outside (google).
And you don't allow traffic to go to the LAN from Guest.
What you are seeing on the image are the default settings. The ***.153 IP is the pihole which I want for every connected device to use including the guest clients without having to give them access to intranet. I left the google DNS IP because yazfi requires 2 DNS IPs.

As I'm able to set static IPs for guest-devices on ASUSMerlin via DHCP, I was hoping to still be able to do that with YazFi. If this is a limitation, I can always set the statics IPs manually per device to try and solve the other issues.

No, static IP's set by the DHCP server for the main LAN will not be assigned to Guest YazFi clients.

Yes, you can set static IP's for YazFi clients. See my write up on setting static IP's for YazFi clients in this post. Or see the YazFi Github Wiki at this link.

As to your problem. One thing to look at. Setting the Force DNS option to Yes pretty much just forces the YazFi client to use DNS1. As such DNS2 is typically not used, but it's field still needs a value in it. When using Force DNS, if DNS1 goes down YazFi clients won't be able to resolve DNS, because it won't roll over to DNS2, and will typically fail to display the correct URL/web page. So in your case make sure 192.168.1.53 (ie DNS1) is a valid IP address and what ever is there (a Pi-Hole by chance?) is working for issuing DNS responses.

Edit to add: Couple of other suggestions. Make sure no other IP Address values on that page are using 192.168.3.0. Check the IP Address values for the 5Ghz to make sure there is no conflict with any of the IP address field values used in the 2.4Ghz section or in the 5Ghz section. Go into the YazFi command line terminal menu (using SSH), select option 3, and look at the configuration of the settings manually. May be something there that is off or misconfigured. Save any changes then select option 1 to apply the updates. Watch to see if it shows any error messages during it's validation and applying the config script.

Hello,

Okay, I can live without being able to set static IPs for guest clients via DHCP. These devices will be the only ones connecting to guest SSID. If the DNS IP is forced and the one/two-way settings work, the gain will certainly outweigh the lost.

After reading your post and
To add to @bennor those 2.4ghz look fine, so please expand 5ghz and screenshot them

I noticed 192.168..3.0 was being used under a 5ghz SSID. I balanced them all out and now it works.

Thank you both. Now I will test out the one/two-way communication settings and how the native setting "access intranet" affects the the yazfi one/two-way settings.

Bennor, I started to read the thread regarding your quest to set an static IP. Interesting development. I'm going to follow that quest to "YazFi Static Guest SSID Quest" as well.

I'm going to follow that quest to "YazFi Static Guest SSID Quest" as well.
Follow those general steps in that post and it should work. I'm currently running a Pi-hole on the main LAN with 10 devices, with fixed/static IP addresses, on the YazFi Guest Wifi. They're spread between the 2.4GHz and 5GHz YazFi networks. The YazFi clients use the main LAN Pi-Hole server for DNS. Even run the YazFi clients with client isolation too. Been using this for over two years now. No problems once I understood how things work with YazFi.

Follow those general steps in that post and it should work. I'm currently running a Pi-hole on the main LAN with 10 devices, with fixed/static IP addresses, on the YazFi Guest Wifi. They're spread between the 2.4GHz and 5GHz YazFi networks. The YazFi clients use the main LAN Pi-Hole server for DNS. Even run the YazFi clients with client isolation too. Been using this for over two years now. No problems once I understood how things work with YazFi.

With the proper attention to details it all works.

I was able to get everything working as expected.

- Guest networks are up and running.
- Guest clients and IoT devices are successfully connecting to YazFi guest networks on both 2.4 and 5 GHz radios.
- Static IPs and hostnames are being successfully assigned to clients.
- YazFi guest’s DNS queries are successfully being resolved by Pi-Hole on LAN.
- One/Two-way communication works great.

I originally was looking for a solution that would at least allow guest clients under the same network to be able to communicate with each other sans-intranet access. I, at least, wanted to be able to switch between LAN and Guest networks and be able to control X device/s and then disconnect. YazFi does this one 2 better by allowing for one/two-way communication between LAN & Guest and Clients Isolation.
I've yet to test YazFi clients isolation to see if it just allows for communication among guest clients within the same network Or if it allows for communication among guest clients across opted-in network.

+ Thank you @bennor. I followed the steps and all went well. No issues. Just a little rearrangement of the native DHCP server settings to avoid hostname conflicts on the router logs. I had named the devices the same on both the native DHCP and Prequest.

Thank you @Jack Yaz, you have taken Guest Networks to the next level with some Yaz.

I'm also getting "Validation for some fields failed. Please correct invalid values and try again" when hitting apply. I tried different dns servers, local ip addresses, redirect to vpn on and off, etc to no avail. I also uninstalled and reinstalled yazfi. I'm using an rt-ac86u router, 386.2_2. The 386 firmware seems to be very stable and the router is running cool at 68 degrees with no fan, fingers crossed. I'm only using one guest network at 2.4 ghz. Its local ip is different than the lan local ip.

I'm also getting "Validation for some fields failed. Please correct invalid values and try again" when hitting apply. I tried different dns servers, local ip addresses, redirect to vpn on and off, etc to no avail. I also uninstalled and reinstalled yazfi. I'm using an rt-ac86u router, 386.2_2. The 386 firmware seems to be very stable and the router is running cool at 68 degrees with no fan, fingers crossed. I'm only using one guest network at 2.4 ghz. Its local ip is different than the lan local ip.
expand all sections on webui and send a screenshot please

I'm only using one guest network at 2.4 ghz. Its local ip is different than the lan local ip.
Double check to ensure each YasFi Guest WiFi IP Address field is unique. Typically what happens is one will change the 2.4GHz IP Address field and it will conflict with one of the other Guest Networks IP Address field. For example if the main LAN is using 192.168.2.0 then for YazFi:

2.4GHZ Guest Network 1 IP Address: 192.168.3.0
2.4GHZ Guest Network 2 IP Address: 192.168.4.0
2.4GHZ Guest Network 3 IP Address: 192.168.5.0
5GHz Guest Network 1 IP Address: 192.168.6.0
5GHz Guest Network 2 IP Address: 192.168.7.0
5GHz Guest Network 3 IP Address: 192.168.8.0

The other common issue is one has entered in only one single DNS entry (ex DNS Server 1). One needs to make sure both DNS fields (DNS Server 1 and DNS Server 2) are filled in, even if only using a single DNS. Put the same value into both fields.

Double check to ensure each YasFi Guest WiFi IP Address field is unique. Typically what happens is one will change the 2.4GHz IP Address field and it will conflict with one of the other Guest Networks IP Address field. For example if the main LAN is using 192.168.2.0 then for YazFi:

2.4GHZ Guest Network 1 IP Address: 192.168.3.0
2.4GHZ Guest Network 2 IP Address: 192.168.4.0
2.4GHZ Guest Network 3 IP Address: 192.168.5.0
5GHz Guest Network 1 IP Address: 192.168.6.0
5GHz Guest Network 2 IP Address: 192.168.7.0
5GHz Guest Network 3 IP Address: 192.168.8.0

The other common issue is one has entered in only one single DNS entry (ex DNS Server 1). One needs to make sure both DNS fields (DNS Server 1 and DNS Server 2) are filled in, even if only using a single DNS. Put the same value into both fields.
i'll make the webui message list which field(s) are the culprit and double check why some aren't appearing in red

Like Jack indicated your problem is 5GHz Guest Network 1 is using the same IP address range as your main LAN. Guest Network IP Address cannot be the same as the main LAN and cannot be the same as each other.

1618954252900.png

Thanks for your replies. I thought that the 5ghz guest network 192.168.5.x address could cause a problem if it was activated. Even though it is greyed out, it is the problem? The router itself changed the network to 192.168.5.x when I entered in a conflicting address previously on 384.19. I upgraded to 386.2_2 and left it. I will change it and hopefully that will do it. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!