What's new

VDSL and router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

geno888

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Recently I had a great improvement in my internet connection, finally my provider installed a VDSL connection, a really huge improvement compared to the 7Mbps ADSL I had before. Now I have a 30Mbps connection.

The provider (too bad) makes mandatory to use their modem/router (the one in picture, I wasn't able to find the exact model, there is no indication in the manual nor in the box)

At that time (about 1 year ago) I read basically everywhere that this modem basically suxx, and almost everyone suggested to use that it as modem only and use a better router to be used for connecting all devices.

So I recycled my ADSL router and installed it in my PC.

The situation is a bit complicated. The modem is in a separate room so I was forced to place a long cable (about 25 meters of cat 6 cable) to connect that white box to my router in the room where the PC is located.

Today a friend told me that using a router is not really necessary, and I can get rid of it and leave the telecom modem only.

Now I am in doubt: is it really necessary to have a router or is better to use only the one provided by telecom? Everything I read about that telecom modem is that it suxx, is terrible and go on, but the friend that spoke to me today said me that he never had issues with that modem.

I must say that now and again I have to reboot the router because the connection seems stuck (I never rebooted the telecom modem), and moreover, every time (and I mean it, every single time) I try to use the torrent the router just sit down after 30 seconds... the only solution to regain the connection is to reboot the router and then after another 30 seconds it just stop again working

Who is the real culprit of this strange behavior? When I reboot the router (for what I know) the modem is unaffected so it seems that the router is the problem.

The router is a TP-Link TL-R600VPN, not exactly a recent one.

I am aware that there is an excellent router with integrated VDSL modem, the Fritxbox 7490, but there is a quite annoying problem: my provider doesn't give the parameters to configure the modem, so if I install the fritzbox I am not more able to use the telephone but I can use the internet connection only. This is not an option for me because I need the telephone too.

With the exception of the torrent issues and the occasional reboot I have to do, however, this configuration seems working very well, but if removing the router (or replacing it with a better one) can improve the performance I can do the changes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• modem-fibra.png
    modem-fibra.png
    285.1 KB · Views: 376
These forums do not discuss any potential activity that can put the site in legal jepardy such as torrents. We can advise on other technical and use issues. Suggest using the router finder tool on the review potion of this website to narrow down your choices and discuss your other issues elsewhere. We don’t want to lose the resources on this site.

These forums do not discuss any potential activity that can put the site in legal jepardy such as torrents. We can advise on other technical and use issues. Suggest using the router finder tool on the review potion of this website to narrow down your choices and discuss your other issues elsewhere. We don’t want to lose the resources on this site.
Hi, thanks for your answer.

Honestly I don't understand why do you imply that I'm using the torrent for illegal purposes.

I guess that you don't believe me, but I use it to download Linux distro (fedora to be more precise), and for what I know it is no illegal at all.

Anyway, besides the torrent, there is nothing wrong with my question: is it useless or not to use a separate router connected with the router imposed by the ISP? Could it be this the cause of the occasional instability of the connection?

As I already explained, I can't get rid of the ISP router, so I don't want to spend a lot of money to buy a new router if it is useless.

Thanks

Torrents, like other software/hardware can be used for many purposes. There have been more than a few requests for support where it appeared that the motive would threaten this site. My answer did not imply anything about your use - just stating how this forum expects to operate to avoid legal issues.

The only need to separate the functions is if the ISP router does not have the options for what you want to run or does not perform adequately or if you want to run third party firmware. If it meets all your needs, then no issue. If not, then put it in bridge mode and buy a router that does not lock up either from thermal issues or software issues.

Torrents, like other software/hardware can be used for many purposes. There have been more than a few requests for support where it appeared that the motive would threaten this site. My answer did not imply anything about your use - just stating how this forum expects to operate to avoid legal issues.

The only need to separate the functions is if the ISP router does not have the options for what you want to run or does not perform adequately or if you want to run third party firmware. If it meets all your needs, then no issue. If not, then put it in bridge mode and buy a router that does not lock up either from thermal issues or software issues.
Thanks again for your answer :)

The only reason why I installed my old router was related to all the bad reviews I read about the modem imposed by the ISP. I guess that I should have tried it from the beginning to see if it worked good or not, my bad :(

In Italy providers will be obliged to allow the use of third party routers. Just few months of patience and you will get all the data needed. https://www.tomshw.it/delibera-modem-libero-cambiera-chi-gia-paga-96513

Sent from Nokia 7 Plus with Tapatalk
I didn't know this, very very interesting indeed. If telecom will actually release the information, I am really considering to get a fritzbox router to replace all. Thanks for the news :)