What's new

VLAN setup? Help or Ideas

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

suicidegybe

New Around Here
So I have a larger home network. About 15 devices total. The backbone of my network is a PF Sense router that handles DHCP and is a VPN for local network access while outside of the house (tap), connected to this is a Netgear GS724T, Connected to this for wireless access is a Netgear WNR 3500L, and a Netgear GS108T.

My network serves four main purposes Data, TV, VOIP, and Internet. I have attached a diagram to assist in showing who my network is setup. Without listing all my device what I would like to do is separate my network into 4 VLANs; Data, TV, VOIP, and internet. According to this article http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-howto/30071-vlan-how-to-segmenting-a-small-lan what I should do is include everything in the internet VLAN and then put the device into there corosponding VLAN and assign that VLAN as the PVID.

The main thing I am not sure about is I have two or three devices, mainly the servers that need to be part of multiple VLANs. But these devices have dual NICs so am I able to assign one NIC to one VLAN and the other to the other? this is also true for rdp and access to a devices web GUI. Like the VOIP server, this uses free PBX and would be on it's own VLAN but I would like to be able to administer it from my workstation/ desktop with them being on different VLANs.

My motivation for doing this is I have been having network problems but I am no where near saturation a 1 gigbit link. So the best thing I could think of was to separate network traffic in hopes it would easy any problems i.e. lag and congestion.
Let me know if you need any additional information to help me set this up. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• Network Diagram.jpg
    Network Diagram.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 380