What's new

VoIP conference call

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Latvian

Occasional Visitor
Any ideas, configuration tutorials, articles, anything regarding setting up a VoIP medium-sized conference call?

Thanks

Depends on some of the specific requirements I guess. Right out of the gate, something like Skype has conference calling features. There's also a few 3rd party VOIP conference calling options, like AccuConference for example. Depends on exactly how much 'VOIP' is involved (i.e. is anyone calling from an outside line? Will everyone be on a PC?). If everyone is on a PC, Skype is pretty easy - although everyone would need to install it and get an account, and then add each other, so not terribly 'plug and play'.

Google it and there's lot of web based conferencing solutions out there.

There are lots of ways to achieve conference calls, some using VoIP, some not.

You could setup and Asterisk or Freeswitch server, both of which can host your conferences. Of course you then need to provide bandwidth and possibly PSTN connectivity.

You could use the conference server at www.freeworldialup.com. They're not free anymore but at $30/yr they are cheap and have a new conference service.

You could use something like www.Talkshoe.com to host your conference. That's available by both PSTN and SIP, but your conference would never be truly private.

You could pay for someone like Junction Networks to give you a private conference bridge. It's $20/mo for up to 10 people, accessible by SIP URI or PSTN number.

Finally, there's always www.freeconference.com, which I used for a long time. It's hard to beat free. Well, you have to pay for the long distance call to their location in Iowa. But the service is free and the web interface is nice.

Michael

There are lots of ways to achieve conference calls, some using VoIP, some not.

You could setup and Asterisk or Freeswitch server, both of which can host your conferences. Of course you then need to provide bandwidth and possibly PSTN connectivity.

You could use the conference server at www.freeworldialup.com. They're not free anymore but at $30/yr they are cheap and have a new conference service.

You could use something like www.Talkshoe.com to host your conference. That's available by both PSTN and SIP, but your conference would never be truly private.

You could pay for someone like Junction Networks to give you a private conference bridge. It's $20/mo for up to 10 people, accessible by SIP URI or PSTN number.

Finally, there's always www.freeconference.com, which I used for a long time. It's hard to beat free. Well, you have to pay for the long distance call to their location in Iowa. But the service is free and the web interface is nice.

Michael

That has been really helpful.
Thanks a lot!

One more idea. Gizmo5 just sent around an email announcing their new conference bridge. Up to 10 seats free to members.

Michael

And now one final commercial option....I've been trying http://www.zipdx.com/ and have really been impressed by their offering. They are commercial so you have to pay, but the management interface is outstanding.

Also, they place a heavy emphasis on G.722 wideband conferencing. That gives you calling with frequency response up to 8 kHz, twice that of normal phone calls. This makes a dramatic difference if you're dealing with noisy environments, people with various strong accents, etc.

This is a little strange, but it makes the conference less tiring. Your brain spends less effort trying to understand what's being said...so your ability to focus is increased.

Of course you need G.722 capable phones like the Polycom IP550/650. ZipDX also offers a downloadable soft phone for use on a PC.

I have no affiliation with ZipDX, but I am a strong proponent of wideband telephony.

Michael

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!