What's new

VoIP, Google Voice, and kids

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sdeleeuw

Regular Contributor
Sorry, dude I find this Dodgy

Maybe I don't understand, but from what you write it appears you have:

Kids. No land line or VOIP. As parents you have cell phones, but are resentful that they receive calls on the only phones in the house? Especially your lazy daughter?

How about:

If you upgrade to a "family" plan, most carriers include a phone, and minutes.

Could do that, I just don't see a reason for an 11 year old to have their very own cell phone, I guess I'm just old fashioned that way...

What's the difference with doing a family plan vs setting up a VOIP phone in the house? Personally I find the latter solution a better one as they will be using it supervised at the house vs sitting there texting in class, but that's just me...

And yeah, we told the daughter she could have a cell phone if she did things to earn it, ie extra chores for money, seeing if the neighbors would pay to have their lawn mowed, etc... She has no interest in that, so in return a family plan is not an option...

As far as I can tell, Google Voice doesn't directly support IP phones.

Skype is a simpler option since it has a lot of phone hardware options. The catch is that you need to pay to make and receive calls from non-Skype accounts. But the cost is minimal and you can use a pay-as-you-go plans like buying phone cards.

By the way, I'm with you. If she isn't going to put some skin in the game by paying for her phone, then no phone!

The OBi is nice and simple, but how long will google voice calls continue to be free? Is it a good investment to capitalize on free calls just for whats left of 2011? There is sipsorcery + sipgate(any free DID could work) + GV = free calls using a streamlined google callback(should remain free after GV calls become pay only), and best of all it's completely free. It also can be adapted for use with SIP apps on smartphones and computers, or even your own ATA for regular telephone use. OBihai could also be using a similar method in streamlining callback calls, but they don't disclose their method of use. Since the OBi device can be used with just about any SIP service, it might be best to try it out and if GV calls begin to cost you, just implement a free alternative.

Take a look @ http://www.sipbri.com/

Last edited:
We did go ahead and try the Skype option, call quality and clarity were great, but contacting Skype's support could be akin to looking for weapons of mass destruction.
Tried AT&T landline customer tech support lately? Couldn't be more indifferent, impolite, rude, self-serving. That, plus repair policies plus overpricing = me gone, after decades.

Touché, taking care of the customer, or even just doing the job right, seems to be lost in a lot of interactions I have with any customer service lately. It probably isn't just isolated to any one company as you point out.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!