What's new

[voxel firmware R7800] is it possible to convert lan port to wan port?[multiwan]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

owencool1

New Around Here
just as the title

I tried researching, since command in voxel firmware are quite similar with openwrt. The results are they have this file thing located in /etc/config/network. U can modify this file (according to what I read) and convert whatever port u have into wan or u can also deactivate specific port using this file. After editing the file, the system network need to be reloaded using script "/etc/init.d/network restart"
is there anything similar to this in voxel firmware?

I actually need this to setup my IPTV to go through the R7800 router and connect to hybrid STB using wifi to watch instead of cable.

my IPTV and internet has separate port coming out of the modem. (eg. port 3 modem internet [bridge through pppoe] and IPTV port 4 [normally directly connected to STB using lan or setup new WAN as bridge and port binding to modem wifi network as well as setting up the IGMP VLAN to modem wifi ssid. This way I can use modem wifi to watch but the modem wifi coverage is very poor]

I am completely noob at this, just trying to figure out how to get my IPTV working with R7800 WIFI instead of cable

Other forums provide ways but they used mikrotik router instead. I'm trying to avoid buying new router and wanted to try if netgear can do this or not.

any reply are much appreciated.

Not sure on Voxel, but when using stock firmware and going to http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm there is the option "WAN port mirror to LAN port1". Is this what you're looking for?

Not sure on Voxel, but when using stock firmware and going to http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm there is the option "WAN port mirror to LAN port1". Is this what you're looking for?

I’m not sure this is what I’m looking for as it uses mirror rather than convert. I think it implies using lan1 as replacement for wan port in case it is broken.
As I said before, I’m trying to do multiwan, which is multiple wan (eg. wan1 & wan2 running simultaneously).

Thanks for ur opinion.

NETGEAR doesn't offer support for true MultiWAN on the R7800 (and a lot other models too). You'll have to wait for Voxel to answer if he can implement it and is willing to.

MultiWAN support requires a lot of code changes throughout the entire firmware, something only Netgear would be able to do. It's not as simple as just labeling a specific port unfortunately.

NETGEAR doesn't offer support for true MultiWAN on the R7800 (and a lot other models too). You'll have to wait for Voxel to answer if he can implement it and is willing to.

Yeah, netgear stock firmware its very limited, they started to support vpn client but only for purevpn. I’m like wtf. Voxel modified firmware should be their default firmware. I mean come on, this expensive router should also provide some additional tool for prosumer and not only consumer. They should hire voxel aldy. xD

Well, the goal of using voxel firmware is to ‘extend netgear functionality’ right xD

Last edited:
MultiWAN support requires a lot of code changes throughout the entire firmware, something only Netgear would be able to do. It's not as simple as just labeling a specific port unfortunately.

Hahahaha, sry, noob here, I just thought that having almost similar layout with openwrt, voxel can work it out. Maybe that’s just because it’s linux and it’s look the same for other too. I guess I have to look for additional router then.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!