What's new

VPN Access Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

txunc

New Around Here
I have an RT-AC66R. Since around January, I've been having strange issue when using my work laptop and going through my work VPN software. When I go through the VPN, I can access work e-mail and all my work's intranet sites. However, when I try to access non-intranet/internet sites (Yahoo, Google, etc...) I can't access those at all. It always times out and gives error message. It wouldn't be too much of an issue but we use third parties for conference calls and other work related functions. I can't access them either. When I turn off the VPN, access to internet is fine.

IT group allowed me to take a loaner laptop to make sure it wasn't mine causing issues. The loaner also had the same problems. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the VPN software which did not solve the problem.

What leads me to think it's the router is we tried a mobile hotspot at work and it worked fine. At that point I thought it may have been ASUS-Merlin because I installed around that time frame. I reinstalled latest (non-beta) stock ASUS firmware hoping that would do the trick but nope.

I'm just baffled. I would think I would either have no access or all access. I have no where else to turn so hoping someone here can help.
Thanks in advance.

Is your home LAN in the same subnet as your work LAN (i.e. do they use the same 192.168.1.xxx IP range)? If so, things might get tricky.

What VPN technology are they using?

Is your home LAN in the same subnet as your work LAN (i.e. do they use the same 192.168.1.xxx IP range)? If so, things might get tricky.

I was thinking exactly the same thing - mostly likely this is a config issue with the VPN server itself...

Work IT said no. However, when I turn on the laptop and login into ASUS interface, it shows the laptop with that subnet range.

VPN technology is Juno/Pulse Secure

Today, I directly connected the laptop to the modem via cable by passing the router. Everything worked great. What's strange is when I went back to wifi, everything worked fine. Once I rebooted, the capability was lost again. To be sure, I went through the process 5 times and same results. Direct line works fine, then wifi works fine, but reboot no good again. At least, I found a work around.

VPN technology is Juno/Pulse Secure

Today, I directly connected the laptop to the modem via cable by passing the router. Everything worked great. What's strange is when I went back to wifi, everything worked fine. Once I rebooted, the capability was lost again. To be sure, I went through the process 5 times and same results. Direct line works fine, then wifi works fine, but reboot no good again. At least, I found a work around.

I'm not familiar at all with this VPN technology.

What about the subnets, are the networks at home and at work in the same range of IPs?

What about the subnets, are the networks at home and at work in the same range of IPs?

IT group says they are different. However, when I look at the client IP address that pops up in ASUS interface, the client IP address is in the same range as home. I hope that answers your question. I'm not a computer/IT person so trying to figure this out. Thanks for your help and patience.

IT group says they are different. However, when I look at the client IP address that pops up in ASUS interface, the client IP address is in the same range as home. I hope that answers your question. I'm not a computer/IT person so trying to figure this out. Thanks for your help and patience.

If you have a simple network at home (with no static IPs), try just changing your router from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.10.1, to use a different subnet. You will have to reboot/reconnect all your computer/printers/etc... at home after doing so. See if that resolves your conflict.

Junos Pulse is a Juniper Networks VPN appliance, and yes, this is an address range conflict within the assigned client pools (there's a Note section in the setup documentation for the appliance on just this)...

Quick workaround is to reset your local DHCP scope from 192.168.1.*** to 192.168.16.***, which usually doesn't overlap, and that's why many travel routers do this... (I forget where to change this in the Asus WebGUI, if someone can point OP there..).

If things work after that, that pretty much confirms the pool assignments in the Junos box...

If you have a simple network at home (with no static IPs), try just changing your router from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.10.1, to use a different subnet. You will have to reboot/reconnect all your computer/printers/etc... at home after doing so. See if that resolves your conflict.

Thanks, I'll try to give it a try this weekend.

Junos Pulse is a Juniper Networks VPN appliance, and yes, this is an address range conflict within the assigned client pools (there's a Note section in the setup documentation for the appliance on just this)...

Quick workaround is to reset your local DHCP scope from 192.168.1.*** to 192.168.16.***, which usually doesn't overlap, and that's why many travel routers do this... (I forget where to change this in the Asus WebGUI, if someone can point OP there..).

If things work after that, that pretty much confirms the pool assignments in the Junos box...

Thank you.