What's new

VPN amateur need advice on best setup and client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JarleH

Regular Contributor
Hi

I have had a few looks at this before, but never gotten around to setting up VPN. I can really need some good advice on how and what to set up.

My router is Asus RT-AX88U running latest Merlin firmware. Earlier I looked onto OpenVPN as a server and client.

I am guessing the best VPN option is to run OpenVPN server on the router correct? Or is it better to run it on in a docker on a machine in my network?

I would love to get good advises on how to set up VPN access to my home network!
(Meaning: get access to my network from outside of my home, log on machines and use servers on the inside, or for that matter set up Nextcloud or similar clouds in my network communication with phones etc.)

I am guessing the best VPN option is to run OpenVPN server on the router correct?
This is certain a good approach until you need something specific and it causes you to change (if ever). Takes about 5 minutes to setup following one of the many guides available on this site or other sources.

I would love to get good advises on how to set up VPN access to my home network!
(Meaning: get access to my network from outside of my home, log on machines and use servers on the inside, or for that matter set up Nextcloud or similar clouds in my network communication with phones etc.)

Perhaps you might find my setup helpful !;)

But, at first, as more advanced users state (I am also an amateur), you have to decide about your targets, meaning which devices can be access from which other and from where !:p