What's new

VPN and Mapped Drives

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gyoung345

New Around Here
I found this but it does not address my problem (http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=1163&highlight=network+drive).

Basically I have a Netgear FSV338 VPN/Firewall/Router connected to a SOHO network. I have configured the VPN and can get a tunnel with the ProSafe VPN client.

What I am trying to do is map a drive to a file server. The file server is Windows 7 Professional box and the laptop is a Windows 7 Ultimate. What I found is that if I disable the firewall completely on the file server I can connect using the IP address. If the firewall is enabled, then I cannot ping or connect to the shared folder. I would prefer to use the machine name rather than the IP but I can live with the IP if I have to. I think I can use a LMHOSTs file to map the IP to the machine name but that is not my immediate problem.

Essentially, what port(s) do I have to open to allow the VPN to get to the file server with the firewall enabled?

Try this

Open Windows Firewall on the Server
Click Advanced Settings
Click Inbound rules
Set the LAN IP assigned by your VPN to the rules named:

"File and Print sharing" - ICMPv4, UDP 137, UDP 138, TCP 139, TCP 445

Give it a whirl.

also in order to use the name of the server rather than IP you will need to do two things.

1) make sure the vpn is properly passing DNS traffic for remote subnets
2) add UDP and TCP ports 53 to the firewall rule to allow it to answer DNS lookup requests. (this would be on whatever server in your network runs DNS)