What's new

spdMerlin VPN + Cake + SpdMerlin (VPN Graph not updating on WebUI)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ExtremeFiretop

Hey @Jack Yaz, I really appreciate the fast response on the last question I posted.

(Sorry for double posting, the original thread was locked due to being 6+ months old or having 500+ comments apparently... I tried to reply first, I promise!)
Is it possible there is a new bug in version 4.4.1? I can speed test my VPN, but it never plots it on the Graphic like it would for WAN....

1628483718876.png

1628483755007.png

I reset my router yesterday and re-configured from scratch, un-installed and re-installed spdmerlin, and confirmed the VPN is active and routing traffic for my mobile device using VPN Director. (It's not set to route all traffic at the moment, but setting to "All" made no difference either.)
Also tried different test settings, like choosing a Server, Auto-selecting a server, changing Unix time or Storage Location to jffs or USB made no difference for me.

This worked before... I can't think of anything I am doing wrong. A bug is my only thought that comes to mind...
I ran the below speedtest from the SSH Command line as you recommended, but no obvious errors that I can see.

1628508217080.png

it says it's updating the data for the chart, and then does nothing for me :(
Anything you can think of I can do to troubleshoot the issue? Any logs I can dive into or something for me to look at?

I looked into the config file located: /opt/share/spdmerlin.d and it looks more or less fine to me.

Code:
PREFERREDSERVER_WAN=17396|Bell Canada (Ottawa, ON, Canada)
USEPREFERRED_WAN=true
AUTOMATED=true
OUTPUTTIMEMODE=non-unix
STORAGELOCATION=usb
PREFERREDSERVER_VPNC1=17394|Bell Canada (Toronto, ON, Canada)
USEPREFERRED_VPNC1=true
PREFERREDSERVER_VPNC2=0|None configured
USEPREFERRED_VPNC2=false
PREFERREDSERVER_VPNC3=0|None configured
USEPREFERRED_VPNC3=false
PREFERREDSERVER_VPNC4=0|None configured
USEPREFERRED_VPNC4=false
PREFERREDSERVER_VPNC5=0|None configured
USEPREFERRED_VPNC5=false
AUTOBW_ENABLED=false
AUTOBW_SF_DOWN=95
AUTOBW_SF_UP=95
AUTOBW_ULIMIT_DOWN=0
AUTOBW_LLIMIT_DOWN=0
AUTOBW_ULIMIT_UP=0
AUTOBW_LLIMIT_UP=0
AUTOBW_THRESHOLD_UP=10
AUTOBW_THRESHOLD_DOWN=10
AUTOBW_AVERAGE_CALC=10
STORERESULTURL=true
EXCLUDEFROMQOS=true
SCHDAYS=*
SCHHOURS=*
SCHMINS=*/30
DAYSTOKEEP=30
LASTXRESULTS=10

i think, by chance, i have recreated this. the issue is the ISP name containing the word server, causing spdmerlin's matching to go a bit skewiff. odd that no-one reports this and then we get 2 cases in 1 day!
should be an easy fix

i think, by chance, i have recreated this. the issue is the ISP name containing the word server, causing spdmerlin's matching to go a bit skewiff. odd that no-one reports this and then we get 2 cases in 1 day!
should be an easy fix

Thank you for checking into this @Jack Yaz .. I honestly didn't know what else to try at this point or where else to go but directly to you here.
If you need logs, or tests done by anyone, let me know.

I didn't know someone else posted about it, I tried doing a bit of searching first, I know I posted about it on your spdmerlin main thread before I was blocked out due to thread age/comment limit.
I myself only recently started playing with a VPN setup at the router, which is when I noticed the issue. Like you said it's probably fairly uncommon.

Thanks again and let me know if you need anything more.

Thank you for checking into this @Jack Yaz .. I honestly didn't know what else to try at this point or where else to go but directly to you here.
If you need logs, or tests done by anyone, let me know.

I didn't know someone else posted about it, I tried doing a bit of searching first, I know I posted about it on your spdmerlin main thread before I was blocked out due to thread age/comment limit.
I myself only recently started playing with a VPN setup at the router, which is when I noticed the issue. Like you said it's probably fairly uncommon.

Thanks again and let me know if you need anything more.
if you want the fix now, please run
Code:
/jffs/scripts/spdmerlin develop
which includes a fix. I have some other changes I need to make before I can promote the fix to stable, so it depends how desperate you are :)

if you want the fix now, please run
Code:
/jffs/scripts/spdmerlin develop
which includes a fix. I have some other changes I need to make before I can promote the fix to stable, so it depends how desperate you are :)

I took the dive and gave it a try now. And happy to report back you found the bug! Whoot whoot! We have lift off!
Many thanks @Jack Yaz . (Also if the other person is you, explains why I couldn't find any related post to the issue lol!)

1628515082224.png

@Jack Yaz

Just gave your develop branch a spin (4.4.2?), seems to be working fine, Speedtest URLs back and working on "external" selected, thanks!

(Original old thread is beyond 6 months old and now locked)

Last edited:
@Jack Yaz

Just gave your develop branch a spin (4.2.2?), seems to be working fine, Speedtest URLs back and working on "external" selected, thanks!

(Original old thread is beyond 6 months old and now locked)

Agreed, it's nice to see some things working again! To be fair though, I think I am noticing some bugs with 4.4.2, but seeing it's a developer branch I expect as much. (I won't go running and reporting issues on work in progress.)
I am still debugging why my fiber connection speed slowly decreases overtime according to Sdpmerlin, so far if I disable QoS and re-enable it, it shoots back up to normal speeds again for a while until it slowing degrades again.

I am wondering if this is actually more related to the firmware/QoS than spdmerlin? I am on 386.3_2 - I don't think I recognized this behavior on previous versions. So far it seems to happen with both cake QoS (Built-in) and Adaptive QoS.
Hard to tell as of yet, was thinking of downgrading to test some more... The simple solution for now is completely disable QoS and live without it, haven't had issues otherwise lol.

Agreed, it's nice to see some things working again! To be fair though, I think I am noticing some bugs with 4.4.2, but seeing it's a developer branch I expect as much. (I won't go running and reporting issues on work in progress.)
I am still debugging why my fiber connection speed slowly decreases overtime according to Sdpmerlin, so far if I disable QoS and re-enable it, it shoots back up to normal speeds again for a while until it slowing degrades again.

I am wondering if this is actually more related to the firmware/QoS than spdmerlin? I am on 386.3_2 - I don't think I recognized this behavior on previous versions. So far it seems to happen with both cake QoS (Built-in) and Adaptive QoS.
Hard to tell as of yet, was thinking of downgrading to test some more... The simple solution for now is completely disable QoS and live without it, haven't had issues otherwise lol.

There was a hotfix available (MD5 hash not a match) for my install of spdmerlin, we will see if this helps at all :)

There was a hotfix available (MD5 hash not a match) for my install of spdmerlin, we will see if this helps at all :)

Usually I would point towards AutoBW but that changes the QoS limits, meaning restarting QoS would give you the same cut down speeds rather than restore them. Which qos do you use, cake? Are you using the cake qos script or just the firmware?

Usually I would point towards AutoBW but that changes the QoS limits, meaning restarting QoS would give you the same cut down speeds rather than restore them. Which qos do you use, cake? Are you using the cake qos script or just the firmware?

Hey @Jack Yaz - I was thinking something similar when I made the post above...
I had found these related topics from previous posts which sounds very similar:

spdMerlin - Bandwidth (up- and downstream) gradually lowered over past 24 hours | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)
Speed dropping 100M a day. Reboot works. | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)
Speeds DRAMATICALLY Decrease When Enabling QoS/Not Setting Correctly | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

To answer your question: I was originally using the Built-In CAKE QoS on my AX88U, I then swapped to Adaptive QoS, and noticed similar behavior with both, which is when I just decided to live without QoS for now, just until I find the time everyone is away to troubleshoot the connection some more. lol.

My original theory from those topics made me think maybe spdmerlin AutoBW, but I double checked and the setting is set to "No" or disabled, if there was an issue, it would be that it's simply ignoring if I have AutoBW completely disabled.
Another theory to test is the "Exclude speedtests from QoS" setting being ignored instead, and still being included with QoS traffic, maybe this would cause QoS to try and to lower the priority/bandwidth of the speedtests being run from the router.

If none of those theories play out I need to downgrade to a previous firmware version and troubleshoot what changed that way...
More to come as always, stuff is always fun to work on :) Again Jack don't worry too much about this for now, I am still trying to pinpoint who I should be talking too (if anyone) or if I can just quickly downgrade/find a settings to workaround it for now.

Hi, sorry I had to hijack your thread - somehow my spdmerlin is not storing the speedtest links anymore. I have tried both the release & develop branch. any help please if i'm the only one affectedby this bug.

Hi, sorry I had to hijack your thread - somehow my spdmerlin is not storing the speedtest links anymore. I have tried both the release & develop branch. any help please if i'm the only one affectedby this bug.

hello,
I've got same issue on both ax86 and ac86 now :/ When results are exported about 2/3 of them have incomplete result urls :(
have You managed to fix that? @Jack Yaz

hello,
I've got same issue on both ax86 and ac86 now :/ When results are exported about 2/3 of them have incomplete result urls :(
have You managed to fix that? @Jack Yaz
Which binary are you using, built-in or external
Yeah - I found out that I had to choose external for it to store the links, didn't change previous settings and it defaulted to built in - the built in achieved higher speeds, but does not store the links.

Which binary are you using, built-in or external

Right now I'm using internal speed test binary and it is able to store some of result urls, when I export them to csv then it's easy to see that some urls are missing, they are not black, just with no result id, only:

I checked it now and last results are again ok, nothing was changed on router. When I wrote that I manually checked script and it also reported with incomplete result. This may be some issue with speedtest itself? maybe they had some troubles?
Please let me know if I can help somehow to debug that.

Yeah - I found out that I had to choose external for it to store the links, didn't change previous settings and it defaulted to built in - the built in achieved higher speeds, but does not store the links.

Do You still have built in bin used? Still no links?
I'm trying to figure out if it's something about speedtest side.