What's new

VPN causes RT AC66U to reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ampicillin

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
So I have been having this issue since last couple of days. The Astrill adapter named Wintun userspace tunnel causing WiFi to disconnect.

It happens when tunneling all apps and adapter is being used. I uninstalled the adapter and using openweb mode (tunnel browsers only) and it doesn't cause wifi disconnect and router reboot.

But, the moment I tunnel apps and adapter is being used . WiFi icon comes and goes on taskbar, Web icon comes and then WiFi disconnects and router gets rebooted.

Things I have tried so far:

Hard reset the router completely.
Flashed a new firmware. (was using John fork 374 went to 380 merlin official but didn't helped.)
Removed wintun adapter and reinstalled.
Reinstalled astrill app few times
Reinstalled WiFi adapter ax 201
Turned off win 11 firewall

Nothing seems to be working. The astrill VPN works in the router applet fine but it doesn't work whenever adapter created by the astrill during installation is being used. Adapter is need to be used when tunneling apps through VPN according to astrill service guy.

System: win 11 64 bit.
firmwarer: 3.0.0.4.374.43_51E3j9527
RT AC66U

RT ac66u log file

I am attaching RT 66U log file. The first log is with the normal date and everything but when astrill adapter is used and router reboots it creates a new log file with entire different date.

Thank you.

Last edited:
From the looks of your log it appears that the entire router is rebooting rather than just the WiFi being disconnected.

If you log into the router and run top I suspect that you might see the CPU load going up to 100% when you're running the VPN app. If so, and given the age of your router, it could be that the additional load it too much for it's ageing PSU.

From the looks of your log it appears that the entire router is rebooting rather than just the WiFi being disconnected.

If you log into the router and run top I suspect that you might see the CPU load going up to 100% when you're running the VPN app. If so, and given the age of your router, it could be that the additional load it too much for it's ageing PSU.

Yes, entire router gets rebooted.
It only happens during the process when VPN adapter is being used. The router works fine without VPN or VPN applet in the router.

I just built a new PC and I shifted to win 11. Earlier I was using Win 7 and it had no issue so far. I suspect Win 11 is with VPN adapter is causing some kind of the issue but I am no tech expert.