What's new

VPN Client connecting to RT-AC68U via TUN, can only see some devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

conma293

New Around Here
Using a TUN interface over TCP/443, can see some devices but not others.

For instance can see some of my raspberry pi servers, can connect over a web browser, but other devices on the same LAN and subnet will not respond to HTTP or even pings (including my NAS).

Also when dialed into the VPN, I can bring up the router interface on 192.168.1.1, but when I attempt to logon with credentials it stalls and doesnt seem to be ...

Lastly, does not seem that it is passing through to internet correctly... could be because I am using 443 to bypass egress filtering on the client-end, not sure...

thinking about using TAP?

Last edited:
TUN is a routed connection so anything that relies on broadcast traffic won't work. It also means that your VPN client is on a different network than your LAN (duh!), this often means that target machines need to have their firewalls updated to allow access from the "non-local" client.

TUN is a routed connection so anything that relies on broadcast traffic won't work. It also means that your VPN client is on a different network than your LAN (duh!), this often means that target machines need to have their firewalls updated to allow access from the "non-local" client.

riiight, so some traffic is getting routed through properly but some isnt? also Im not sure how that explains why internet passthrough and my connection/authentication to the router itself isnt working... oh well. Im gonna try TAP and see if that works any better

For instance can see some of my raspberry pi servers, can connect over a web browser, but other devices on the same LAN and subnet will not respond to HTTP or even pings (including my NAS).

Check their firewalls.

Check their firewalls.
Will have a look thanks, have tried TAP and TUN now, both get me a connection into the LAN, TAP required me to add IFCONFIG and ROUTE to the OVPN file. But both have the same kind of issues - internet is not getting routed through, can connect to some devices but not all, for instance the ASUS router itself, serves up the http login page, but just goes into an endless stall when trying to authenticate

Check their firewalls.
TAP is now working (after adding
ifconfig X.X.X.X 255.255.255.0
route-gateway X.X.X.X to ovpn file)
for everything *except* for routing through internet traffic, have tried adding "dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8" to ovpn file but no luck... any help?

Sorry, I never used TAP. For starter, understand that TAP works at layer 2, which means you shouldn't need to push any dhcp option - the clients should share the same dhcp server on both sides of the tunnel (and if you are running two different DHCP, then your network topology is wrong and things won't work properly with a TAP tunnel...)

Sorry, I never used TAP. For starter, understand that TAP works at layer 2, which means you shouldn't need to push any dhcp option - the clients should share the same dhcp server on both sides of the tunnel (and if you are running two different DHCP, then your network topology is wrong and things won't work properly with a TAP tunnel...)
thats no problem, I had problems with TUN so trying TAP and after forcing an IP it seems to play a little nicer but still cant seem to get web access, I think its a DNS issue..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!