What's new

VPN client exclusion possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dr. Yoshimi Tokui

New Around Here
Hello there,

Just starting out with my ZenWiFi AX router. And lovely to be able to have a VPN client. But I cannot seem to exclude certain clients on the network (perhaps via IP or MAC address). Now, is this at all possible?
And this is perhaps a stupid question, but I don't know much about OpenVPN: Can you do this by using the option to edit the .ovpn file manually when creating the client? Or am I forced to use Asuswrt-Merlin for something like this? Would rather avoid it, since I am satisfied with everything else...

Cheers,
Massimo

RMerlin firmware, for this and many other benefits.

What are you gaining by 'avoiding' it? Color me puzzled. :confused:

RMerlin firmware, for this and many other benefits.

What are you gaining by 'avoiding' it? Color me puzzled. :confused:

Hehe. Thank you for your reply. Just that I had DD-WRT on my previous router, and I found it to be kind of a hassle every time I needed to do something fairly simple. And I don't want to risk anything going wrong with this excellent setup, by using non-official firmware. But if you can convince me otherwise, I might have a second look... ;)

Your best options:

Sell your RMerlin incompatible router.

Buy the RT-AX86U or two, as required. I would start with one and go from there.

Flash RMerlin 386.1 class firmware on it (currently at Beta 2).

Perform a full reset to factory defaults (see the M&M Config and Nuclear Reset guides in the link in my signature).

In that same link, see the amtm Step-by-Step Guide. Just remember you don't need to 'install' amtm, it is already included in RMerlin firmware since version 384.15_0 release final.

For the reasons why you want RMerlin firmware on a supported Asus router, see the links below.

About | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

Features | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

amtm - the Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu - Diversion

Convinced now? :)

Your best options:

Sell your RMerlin incompatible router.

Buy the RT-AX86U or two, as required. I would start with one and go from there.

Flash RMerlin 386.1 class firmware on it (currently at Beta 2).

Perform a full reset to factory defaults (see the M&M Config and Nuclear Reset guides in the link in my signature).

In that same link, see the amtm Step-by-Step Guide. Just remember you don't need to 'install' amtm, it is already included in RMerlin firmware since version 384.15_0 release final.

For the reasons why you want RMerlin firmware on a supported Asus router, see the links below.

About | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

Features | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

amtm - the Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu - Diversion

Convinced now? :)

Heheh. It is tittilating indeed. But since I have just purchased the AX I would rather not switch again. But I must say the the RMerlin looks pretty good all considered. Much better than DD-WRT from first glance. Thank you for your thorough answer though! I appreciate you taking your time!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!