What's new

VPN Client question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wayner

Regular Contributor
Until recently I was using an Asus RT-N66U running Merlin as my router. I have replaced this router with a Ubiquiti Unifi USG. I have OpenVPN server running on my USG router and I am able to connect to it from PC and iOS clients.

I want to use my old Asus router running Merlin as a VPN client at a vacation house that I will be renting for a few weeks. Then I will be connecting various devices, including mobile devices, laptops and potentially Android TV devices to this router with the hopes of being able to have a VPN connection to my LAN back home.

Are there any tricks in doing this? Can I just take the cert info that is in my .ovpn file and use this as the config in Merlin for the OpenVPN client? Is there any reason why this won't work?

I am not using a VPN provider since I am not using a VPN for the reasons that those providers exist, which is often to get around geographic IP blocking. I want to create my own WAN where I can set up a remote LAN and have full access to all of the devices on my home LAN.

But that page you linked to does show how to use the OpenVPN client functionality given a .ovpn file. That is essentially what I will be doing as I have created a .ovpn file on my router, so thanks for your help.

I am not using a VPN provider since I am not using a VPN for the reasons that those providers exist, which is often to get around geographic IP blocking. I want to create my own WAN where I can set up a remote LAN and have full access to all of the devices on my home LAN.

But that page you linked to does show how to use the OpenVPN client functionality given a .ovpn file. That is essentially what I will be doing as I have created a .ovpn file on my router, so thanks for your help.

Just an FYI when the N66 is used as a VPN client, based on personal experience, your download speed will be around 15 Mbps. While you can get one and maybe two HD video streams working that will be the limit. I would not count on more than one stream at a time if you want to avoid buffering.

Just an FYI when the N66 is used as a VPN client, based on personal experience, your download speed will be around 15 Mbps. While you can get one and maybe two HD video streams working that will be the limit. I would not count on more than one stream at a time if you want to avoid buffering.
Thanks - is that because it doesn't have the CPU processing power? If so then I may have to fall back on port forwarding, but I was hoping that this would work.

Thanks - is that because it doesn't have the CPU processing power? If so then I may have to fall back on port forwarding, but I was hoping that this would work.

Yes. A 600 MHz processor is slow. With a 1400 MHz you could get 55 Mbps. VPNs are processor intensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!