What's new

Beta VPN Director testing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
syslog of 2 days with 386.3_alpha2-g55206a0632 if it helps (perfect-privacy.com):

switching now to the updated on.

Last edited:
syslog1 with installing the newest firmware and syslog2 with starting and connection to VPN:

got some kernel error (and the VPN seems endless trying to connect only restart is working).

Last edited:
syslog1 with installing the newest firmware and syslog2 with starting and connection to VPN:

got some kernel error (and the VPN seems endless trying to connect only restart is working).
Disable IPv6 support in your client config, it`s not supported.

Code:
pull-filter ignore "ifconfig-ipv6"
pull-filter ignore "router-ipv6"

Code:

ipv6 "native", with disabled im having no network.
(FritzBox7590->Asus1->the two others over mesh, all traffic over VPN)

Then I don't know. I have no way of testing anything related to IPv6, sorry.
You seem to also have a configuration issue:

Code:
Jun 30 18:27:22 ovpn-client1[7189]: Control Channel: TLSv1.2, cipher TLSv1.2 DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384, peer certificate: 4096 bit RSA, signature: RSA-SHA512
Jun 30 18:27:22 ovpn-client1[7189]: [Server_frankfurt.perfect-privacy.com] Peer Connection Initiated with [AF_INET]37.58.58.239:1151
Jun 30 18:27:23 ovpn-client1[7189]: SENT CONTROL [Server_frankfurt.perfect-privacy.com]: 'PUSH_REQUEST' (status=1)
Jun 30 18:27:23 ovpn-client1[7189]: AUTH: Received control message: AUTH_FAILED

Code:
That is weird shouldn't ipv6 work? The current openvpn version supports it. how hard could it be to add support for it that users can test and provide feedback, especially since some vpn providers now provide it as standard options in vpn configs.

He’d be shooting in the dark since his ISP doesn’t provide IPv6.
still, I imagine a lot of users can provide valuable feedback from testing. I am not saying fire up the old compiling station and release a stable branch with "potential" ipv6 support. I am saying come up with something to test to see if it is doable.

That is weird shouldn't ipv6 work? The current openvpn version supports it. how hard could it be to add support for it that users can test and provide feedback, especially since some vpn providers now provide it as standard options in vpn configs.
Not realistic. That kind of major change requires me to be able to actually run what I'm developing.

Must be something which crept in with 386 code ... I can clearly remember using Redirect = "Yes" in 384 code for a simple "protect all via VPN" trial period.

Sadly throughput on all the VPN's I have tested here down South mess badly with speeds and buffer-bloat so are largely unusable. NordVPN is marginally better than VPNUnlimited for use as a local VPN - but VPNUnlimited is way better for UK BBC.

One question - Will your new VPN Director remain compatible with x3mRouting from @Xentrk ?? Routing by intended internet destination rather than by selected local client ip is a mighty appealing feature of his offering [which as a non-coder I have yet to Master but have every intention of doing so] :).
@kernol - can you explain why VPN Unlimited is better for BBC / iPlayer. I just purchased Nord and I am having trouble with BBC. Thinking of switching to VPN Unlimited as I need BBC more than anything else.

@kernol - can you explain why VPN Unlimited is better for BBC / iPlayer. I just purchased Nord and I am having trouble with BBC. Thinking of switching to VPN Unlimited as I need BBC more than anything else.

VPN Unlimited have dedicated certain servers to BBC streaming - and I have found those to be reliable.
That said - I was also able to get NordVPN to work very well by following their guidelines and by ensuring that the DNS server used is located in the UK.

VPN Unlimited have dedicated certain servers to BBC streaming - and I have found those to be reliable.
That said - I was also able to get NordVPN to work very well by following their guidelines and by ensuring that the DNS server used is located in the UK.
thanks @kernol. Can you point me to the guidelines for ensuring I get a UK DNS please?

I have no problem with Nord so long as I use exclusive as the 'accept DNS configuration' setting. If I use any other DNS configuration on the connection I either get:

1. my nextdns DNS service DNS server for the connection - I have nextdns running on my router for adblocking/security
2. if i turn off nextdns the nord VPN connection uses a US based DNS
3. if i try another VPN provider (Smart DNS) the VPN connection has a DNS server from finland :)

My ideal solution is to be able to have a VPN connection where I can specify the DNS server manually using dhcp-option DNS x.x.x.x

Or some more control over the DNS so that DNS server is same country as VPN connection (UK/UK) - for streaming.

I have tried using xm3Routing script to do policy based routing but I could not get this working due to the DNS issue

@RMerlin - just wanted to say I have latest alpha running on my AX58U. All my VPN setting imported fine and I have not found any issues with my (simple) setup. Thanks for all the great work you do!

thanks @kernol. Can you point me to the guidelines for ensuring I get a UK DNS please?

I have no problem with Nord so long as I use exclusive as the 'accept DNS configuration' setting. If I use any other DNS configuration on the connection I either get:

1. my nextdns DNS service DNS server for the connection - I have nextdns running on my router for adblocking/security
2. if i turn off nextdns the nord VPN connection uses a US based DNS
3. if i try another VPN provider (Smart DNS) the VPN connection has a DNS server from finland :)

My ideal solution is to be able to have a VPN connection where I can specify the DNS server manually using dhcp-option DNS x.x.x.x

Or some more control over the DNS so that DNS server is same country as VPN connection (UK/UK) - for streaming.

I have tried using xm3Routing script to do policy based routing but I could not get this working due to the DNS issue
Two links ...
https://support.nordvpn.com/General...72/How-to-securely-watch-BBC-with-NordVPN.htm
and
https://support.nordvpn.com/General...81512/Troubleshooting-steps-for-streaming.htm

Thanks. I have tried all of this but the main issue is that the only way I can get iplayer to work (using NordVPN) is when I set the connection to - accept DNS configuration = Exclusive

When set to Exclusive then I can't do any of the IP SET policy based routing that @Xentrk has enabled through the x3mRouting script (as it requires dnsmasq that can't be used in Exclusive mode). I know that x3mRouting might not even work with 386.3 (but i'm hoping it will be updated)...

So I think there are a few possible solutions:

1. use a different VPN service - Xentrk suggests Tor Guard
2. find a way to manually set the DNS IP when accept DNS configuration <> Exclusive
3. find a way for DNS configuration = Exclusive to work with dnsmasq [not even sure if this is an option]

Sorry for hijacking this thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.