What's new

vpn director

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spbpatel

New Around Here
when you use remote IP while creating VPN director rules, it doesn't work.
Below is my rule and as per my understanding, no matter what device I'm connected, access to https://www.discoveryplus.in/ should go via wgc1.
1687669207326.png

That website resolves to multiple different IP addresses. That single rule won't redirect all of their CDN IPs.

Then the site must be validating your origin differently. Some use DNS-based validation for instance.

This has probably been asked and answered, but will VPN Director ever be able to support Wireguard?
It currently does work very well on my AX86S running Merlin 388.2_2. I have the VPN Director routing some clients using OpenVPN and some using a WireGuard client. Runner and flow cache are enabled.

On my AC86 however WireGuard isn't enabled unless you want to try the add on script WG session manager which I have no experience with.

So I guess the answer depends on what router you have.

It currently does work very well on my AX86S running Merlin 388.2_2. I have the VPN Director routing some clients using OpenVPN and some using a WireGuard client. Runner and flow cache are enabled.

On my AC86 however WireGuard isn't enabled unless you want to try the add on script WG session manager which I have no experience with.

So I guess the answer depends on what router you have.
Thanks for that info, I assumed it was a limitation of the VPN Director application. I wonder why, as wireguard is smaller and lighter, so any machine that can run open VPN should have no issue with wireguard. So I guess my question remains would come to the AC68?

Thanks for that info, I assumed it was a limitation of the VPN Director application. I wonder why, as wireguard is smaller and lighter, so any machine that can run open VPN should have no issue with wireguard. So I guess my question remains would come to the AC68?
I don't think it is that simple. I believe the reason is that certain router's kernel will not process WireGuard natively. I'm sure someone else can give you a better explanation but based on other conversations on this forum any router running on the 386.11 or earlier firmware isn't going to get WireGuard running natively.

I don't think it is that simple. I believe the reason is that certain router's kernel will not process WireGuard natively. I'm sure someone else can give you a better explanation but based on other conversations on this forum any router running on the 386.11 or earlier firmware isn't going to get WireGuard running natively.
And yet weirdly there are add-ons to make it work.

Normally when something is too old to run new stuff I get it, but this is a weird situation as it’s smaller and lighter than what it runs now.

Oh well, thanks again.

The RT-AC68U does not support Wireguard because kernel 2.6.36 is not supported by Wireguard.
The RT-AC86U does not support Wireguard because Asus decided not to migrate that model to the 388 codebase, which was when they added WireGuard support, and I have no intention of backporting their 388 implementation due to the major amount of work that would imply.. Your alternative on that model is to implement it using a third party script.

The RT-AC68U does not support Wireguard because kernel 2.6.36 is not supported by Wireguard.
The RT-AC86U does not support Wireguard because Asus decided not to migrate that model to the 388 codebase, which was when they added WireGuard support, and I have no intention of backporting their 388 implementation due to the major amount of work that would imply.. Your alternative on that model is to implement it using a third party script.

If the kernel doesn’t support it, how does a third party script make it work?

Also, when the third party script installs it, will it work with VPN Director?

And yet weirdly there are add-ons to make it work.

Normally when something is too old to run new stuff I get it, but this is a weird situation as it’s smaller and lighter than what it runs now.

Oh well, thanks again.
Good luck using the add on script for your router. I spent a little time trying to get it work on my AC86 without success but didn't put much time in trying to figure why it wasn't working for me.

Good luck using the add on script for your router. I spent a little time trying to get it work on my AC86 without success but didn't put much time in trying to figure why it wasn't working for me.
Thanks, I don’t really have a need for Wireguard, just wanted something as lightweight as possible. @RMerlin VPN Director doesn’t work with L2TP either right? That would be ideal for my use case. Also you said ChaCha20 over AES128? Thanks for that.

I looked around for an AX series Asus that would support Wireguard but they seem to be mostly gaming routers and overkill for this use case. If I have to spend that much, I’d just go Ubiquiti.

Last edited:
Your alternative on that model is to implement it using a third party script.
Just to clarify, are you saying there IS in fact a third party script?

Also - out of curiosity why doesn’t VPN Director support the other existing protocols? Was it not possible, or just a choice based on the relatively poor encryption?

Just to clarify, are you saying there IS in fact a third party script?
I think you are mixing up the RT-AC68U and the RT-AC86U, two very different routers. Please re-read what I wrote...

why doesn’t VPN Director support the other existing protocols?
Because they are obsolete, and not worth the effort, and would also be a waste of resources since each additional client instance would require reserving a hundred slots in the priority list.. Nobody should be using PPTP in 2023 anyway. OpenVPN works fine, is widely supported, very flexible, and very secure.