What's new

VPN how to access remotely

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
How do you access your router away from home via a VPN? I have read that you can do it but I am not sure how to go about it , at least I think you can unless I misinterpreted what I read ?

How do you access your router away from home via a VPN? I have read that you can do it but I am not sure how to go about it , at least I think you can unless I misinterpreted what I read ?

If you are using Merlin's firmware it is straight forward. First using ASUS free DDNS service activate a DDNS. Then go to the VPN server section and turn it on. Once you click on and apply it should be running and available for use. With Merlin's 11_2 on an AC86 no problems. I have also run it on an N66 with no issues. I have not been able to get it running on 12_o but your results may vary. Finally create a user name and password and finally download the OVPN file. The router's firmware will give you instructions on how to run the OVPN client on various devices such as phones and PCs.

If you are using Merlin's firmware it is straight forward. First using ASUS free DDNS service activate a DDNS. Then go to the VPN server section and turn it on. Once you click on and apply it should be running and available for use. With Merlin's 11_2 on an AC86 no problems. I have also run it on an N66 with no issues. I have not been able to get it running on 12_o but your results may vary. Finally create a user name and password and finally download the OVPN file. The router's firmware will give you instructions on how to run the OVPN client on various devices such as phones and PCs.
I use a different DNS and DDNS (express VPNs) for streaming so is it the same thing but I just use express VPN DNS and the hostname I use to automatically update my IP address or do I need to use the Assus one

I use a different DNS and DDNS (express VPNs) for streaming so is it the same thing but I just use express VPN DNS and the hostname I use to automatically update my IP address or do I need to use the Assus one
Ps I am on 384.12

In the router firmware, go to WAN -> DDNS tab.

I use dnsomatic which pushes the wan ip out to ydns.io. Many options to choose from. Asus has a service that many use. On the client device, install OpenVPN software. Export the ovpn file to the client device. On Win 10, the directory is C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config\. Android and iOS similar.

UPDATE:
In the ovpn config file, edit the line that starts with remote. Replace the WAN IP address with the ddns hostname.

Code:
remote myhome.duckdns.org 1194

I have good instructions on my website but the images are not displaying after a recent update. The instructions on the forum are good:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/h...with-asus-routers-380-68-updated-08-24.33638/

Last edited:
In the router firmware, go to WAN -> DDNS tab.

I use dnsomatic which pushes the wan ip out to ydns.io. Many options to choose from. Asus has a service that many use. On the client device, install OpenVPN software. Export the ovpn file to the client device. On Win 10, the directory is C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config\. Android and iOS similar.

I have good instructions on my website but the images are not displaying after a recent update. The instructions on the forum are good:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/h...with-asus-routers-380-68-updated-08-24.33638/
Great that's just what I was after thanks for the link.My next project