What's new

VPN Kill Switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TonyK132

I have PIA and have the Kill Switch disabled. While I really want to have it on, I've found that if the VPN goes down and the Internet is disabled as it should, it does not come on unless you do a router reboot or manually log-in to the router and re-enable the VPN. The problem is that I do not know that the VPN has been disabled so that I can take action. What I'd like is for this action to happen automatically. Is there a script that periodically checks the VPN status, say every 5 min, and if the VPN is down, to attempt to re-enable it? It should only do this if the "Block routed clients if tunnel goes down" option (ie, Kill Switch) is Yes. There should also be other checks, for example, was the VPN previous on (criteria?), not do this any more often than every 5 min, and to do the 1st one at least 5 min from when the VPN went down. Or, is this already being handled by the OpenVPN handler and I'm just not patient enough? BTW, I have an Asus u86 with Merlin 384.8_2 inside.

Also BTW, it would be nice to get notified that the VPN has gone down. Is there a way to do that, possibly using a SmartThings Virtual Switch to indicate the state of the VPN? When it goes down, then I could trigger a WebCore piston to notify me. Or maybe there is a another way that someone has figured out?

I have PIA and have the Kill Switch disabled. While I really want to have it on, I've found that if the VPN goes down and the Internet is disabled as it should, it does not come on unless you do a router reboot or manually log-in to the router and re-enable the VPN. The problem is that I do not know that the VPN has been disabled so that I can take action. What I'd like is for this action to happen automatically. Is there a script that periodically checks the VPN status, say every 5 min, and if the VPN is down, to attempt to re-enable it? It should only do this if the "Block routed clients if tunnel goes down" option (ie, Kill Switch) is Yes. There should also be other checks, for example, was the VPN previous on (criteria?), not do this any more often than every 5 min, and to do the 1st one at least 5 min from when the VPN went down. Or, is this already being handled by the OpenVPN handler and I'm just not patient enough? BTW, I have an Asus u86 with Merlin 384.8_2 inside.

Also BTW, it would be nice to get notified that the VPN has gone down. Is there a way to do that, possibly using a SmartThings Virtual Switch to indicate the state of the VPN? When it goes down, then I could trigger a WebCore piston to notify me. Or maybe there is a another way that someone has figured out?
Check out this thread:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/vpnclient1-up-down-scripts-openvpn-ac86u-help-needed.56500/

Thanks, that's what I'm looking for.