What's new

VPN noob

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

d_v_us

Regular Contributor
Gents....playing with the vpn options but have a few basic questions....

So....on my iphone client side....you have the option of IKEv2 or IPsec (not even gonna bother with L2TP:rolleyes:)....I'm guessing that IPsec wins as far as secure correct in that environment?

But I'm also thinking that a OpenVPN config should be the way to go overall and not even bother with IPsec or IKEv2? Also, when it comes to certs....the "Lets Encrypt" option...good or pass. If I'm looking at this correctly....looks like Asus gives you the ability to create ur own keys right (Private, SSL cert)?

I'm probably all over the place on this but wanna make sure I'm trackin...was on the "enable DDNS client screen" as well. Trying to make most secure environment I can with tools available:)

When using OpenVPN, you typically need to use something called EasyRSA to generate the certs and keys, both for the server and client. But for convenience sake, Merlin implements this for you in the router. When you create the OpenVPN server, it will automatically create the necessary certs and keys and place them in the config. You can then use the same GUI to generate the matching certs and keys for the client.

When using OpenVPN, you typically need to use something called EasyRSA to generate the certs and keys, both for the server and client. But for convenience sake, Merlin implements this for you in the router. When you create the OpenVPN server, it will automatically create the necessary certs and keys and place them in the config. You can then use the same GUI to generate the matching certs and keys for the client.

Thanks for that info on "EasyRSA"....while I was looking at the screen thinking the same thing that...the certs and keys were right in front of my face...I couldn't connect the dots completely.

Chongnt....thanks for ur info as well....this forum is a gold mine for those of us still learning:)