What's new

VPN recommendations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vpns have great use cases, privacy isn’t really what they were designed for.

What? Virtual “Private” Network, it’s in the name. If you choose to use a hosted service and compromise that aspect then it’s on you.

What? Virtual “Private” Network, it’s in the name. If you choose to use a hosted service and compromise that aspect then it’s on you.

Fair enough. Though, there is a difference between having a private network and an expectation of privacy of data being sent to a destination you don’t control (such as a website). That’s all I meant. It’s just confusing to someone who is trying to figure it out when all the marketing of the vpn hosts says you need a vpn service to be private on the internet.

Though, there is a difference between having a private network and an expectation of privacy of data being sent to a destination you don’t control (such as a website).

Not really sure what you mean here, a website? Like a VPN provider or what?

I thought we’ve reached the conclusion that if you use a VPN service instead of hosting and connecting to your own, you are compromising what VPNs have to offer.

Not really sure what you mean here, a website? Like a VPN provider or what?

I thought we’ve reached the conclusion that if you use a VPN service instead of hosting and connecting to your own, you are compromising what VPNs have to offer.

Sorry that was poorly worded. I guess the vast amount of marketing from the providers would have you believe all you need is their service to be private on the internet. I was just trying to make the point that a vpn provider doesn’t make someone private on the internet. Which may have been redundant based on previous posts.

I would agree with rolling your own for the most part. If I had the upstream on my internet I’d just host my own vpn, unfortunately it’s woefully slow, so having a vpn service for using WiFi when traveling is helpful.

Sorry that was poorly worded. I guess the vast amount of marketing from the providers would have you believe all you need is their service to be private on the internet. I was just trying to make the point that a vpn provider doesn’t make someone private on the internet. Which may have been redundant based on previous posts.

I would agree with rolling your own for the most part. If I had the upstream on my internet I’d just host my own vpn, unfortunately it’s woefully slow, so having a vpn service for using WiFi when traveling is helpful.

Then that’s a marketing problem and not a design issue.

VPNs are great when you’re on a potentially hostile network (open WiFi, shirtty ISP, corporate monitoring, country level firewalls etc).

Funny enough I just realized the initial person I was replying to either removed their post, or got moderated. So, responding with their original query in mind seems unnecessary now.

Then that’s a marketing problem and not a design issue.

VPNs are great when you’re on a potentially hostile network (open WiFi, shirtty ISP, corporate monitoring, country level firewalls etc).

Yup, these are all valid points. Or you want to stream content which is geo-blocked in your area. There are many VPNs like Nord, Vypr, Boleh, Surfshark, PIA etc. and when I was choosing one for my needs it was quite difficult. Finally, I chose Nord because it has the most features for the price.

My two main goals were security/privacy and streaming. Nord is based in Panama which has no data retention laws and is out of 14 eyes jurisdiction, it also has zero log policy which I fancy. There's an integrated kill-switch too in case the connection gets disrupted so no information is leaked from your end.

Furthermore, it supports UK Netflix and iPlayer which I watch (I'm not from the UK BTW). It also supports many other streaming websites and services. Sometimes you have to check which servers work because streaming providers like to ban VPNs but usually, they work.

I also like it that you can use bitcoins and some other cryptocurrency to pay for the service, really adds to the anonymity if you truly seek that.

Well, anyway. I've used a coupon code found online ZEROLOGS3Y (just entered into checkout at https://nordvpn.com/) which gave me a 77% discount and $2,75 a month seems pretty good. Maybe it still works. :)

Okay, I need to jump into the conversation as I really like my VPN provider TorGuard. They are one of the only providers I know of that can circumvent VPN blocks and the clients runs on just about any OS and router firmware out there. I started telling other expats where I live about it. Next time I saw them, they would thank me and tell me how much they liked it. It started happening more and more. So, TorGuard gave me a 50% discount code that I am able to offer people. See all the details and discount code on my blog post https://x3mtek.com/why-i-use-torguard-as-my-vpn-provider/

Last edited:
Looking good so far. WireGuard can use multi-cores in the CPU, and OpenVPN can’t. Hoping for more VPN providers to implement WireGuard soon.

Wireguard - in testing, looks interesting...

I think the challenge is the public providers, but for public source to private sink - e.g. dial in - it performs really well

I have to split my time between this and zerotier...

Yeah agree with you and the info you have shared. Just reading out PureVPN Review and found it out informative. Have a look!
I agree and as far as the price of PureVPN is concerned, it is very light on your pocket. The Servers work perfect and the encryption is also great. However, if you ask my second best VPN after PureVPN, I would definitely recommend PrivateVPN. Since I've been currently using it, therefore I am very much curious to read several Privatevpn Review, and I have a relief that I have a good alternative for PureVPN. In short, if you need a VPN which is inexpensive in price, easy to install with the best encryption, then you should go for PrivateVPN

These “logs”:

PureVPN I only recommend this VPN to my enemies.
- PureVPN’s ‘non-existent’ logs used to track, arrest alleged internet stalker
- PureVPN Review - Shocking Test Results Reveal Serious Flaws

IPVanish too is suck.
- "No Logs" IPVanish Embroiled in Logging Scandal
- IPVanish “No-Logging” VPN Led Homeland Security to Comcast User

HMA also work with the police
- What Everybody Ought to Know About HideMyAss

EarthVPN
- “No logs” EarthVPN user arrested after police finds logs

Private Internet Access (PIA)
(March 12, 2016)
- PIA VPN Provider’s No-Logging Claims Tested in FBI Case

(Oct 15, 2017)
PIA lies about no logging. They do it by using word games. According to two now ex-PIA employees
- Private Internet Access caught lying about their no-logging statements

Verified “no logs” claims:

I recommend you read this:

Better to suffer in knowledge, than grin in ignorance.

Last edited:
I use Surf Shark for a while now. Speed is quite stable, as this providers is quite new one. Mainly I use it for Netflix as it offers technology which is optimised for fast video content delivery. If someone is interested , here is the code for discount: GETVPN (it worked couple of weeks ago)

What is the fastest VPN hardware setup? Do you use your internet router or have a VPN device setup inside your network. I would think a VPN device inside your network which can focus on VPN. This would allow you to use your faster internet service for things which did not need to pass through VPN. My only thought is you would not want the VPN device to use a double NAT. Passing through NAT is slow.

What is the fastest VPN hardware setup? Do you use your internet router or have a VPN device setup inside your network. I would think a VPN device inside your network which can focus on VPN. This would allow you to use your faster internet service for things which did not need to pass through VPN. My only thought is you would not want the VPN device to use a double NAT. Passing through NAT is slow.

I run my VPN on a router and VPN device double NATed behind my WWW facing router. As I have said before on this forum a double NAT probably has some minimal impact on speeds but not much more probably than using a longer jumper cable. I have done speedtests both with and without the double NAT and I can't measure a difference in part because using a VPN client adds a variable that impacts my speed in addition the fluctuations in my ISP's speed. Even if I turn the VPN off and compare the difference in speeds between connecting on the double NATed router vs connecting directly to my modem I have never noticed a significant difference in speeds.

Double NATs do add complications to a network and make certain things more difficult and maybe impossible but a reduction in speed should not be the reason to not double NAT.

I understand the security issues with double NAT trying to open multiple port forwarding. And setting up DHCP.

Good to here is does not effect speed now days.

You should check thatoneprivacyguy reviews. Look for a VPN that offers zero log policy. I use NordVPN and I'm happy with it, because of speeds and support for many streaming platforms. However I've heard good things about BolehVPN and Surfshark VPN too.