What's new

VPN Server: multiple remote users at the same IP address?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chuckles67

Regular Contributor
Running AX-86U router with Merlin 386.1_2. Did a factory hard reset (WPS button), and complete settings manual install.

VPN server (OVPN) is running fine with one connected user. Allow Client <-> Client is enabled, so that I can remotely login to the router GUI; and remotely access other devices on the router network.

I'm having issues when a second user at the same remote IP address (same as the first connected user) attempts to connect: then the first connected user will experience slow service and can get disconnected. Both users have unique usernames and passwords in the AX-86U GUI.

Are multiple users originating from the same IP address supposed to be able to run simultaneous connections to VPN server?

Probably both users are using the same CN (Common Name) on their certs. You need to add the following to the OpenVPN server's custom config.

Code:
username-as-common-name

P.S. The client-to-client option is only about allowing each OpenVPN client to access the other, and/or the network behind each OpenVPN client. By default, OpenVPN establishes a sort of network isolation (for security reasons) between the OpenVPN clients unless you enable the client-to-client option. It has nothing to do w/ accessing the shared remote network, and which is why you would normally NOT enable client-to-client except under special conditions.

Last edited:
Thank you kind sir!

I did as you bid to the custom config: then exported the updated OpenVPN configuration file to several devices, each with a unique username and password, and everything connected fine at the same time.

Really helpful.