What's new

VPN Speed Excessively slow

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I think a more appropriate approach would be to reset your router settings and check your internet speed before and after connecting to a VPN. Many a time, the limiting factor can be the VPN itself and not the router. You can check different comparisons of fastest VPN services here and decide for yourself that what could be the possible factors that are limiting your internet connection speed.

Given that a vpn' access to the internet could be hundreds of miles away, we shouldn't expect too much from it Speedtest wise. With no vpn, Speedtest.net picks a location very close to you from network perspective and is therefore unrealistically fast.... meaning you won't get that speed across your spread of sites that are accessed.

I wonder what the results would be if you turned the vpn off, but picked the Speedtest.net location nearest your VPN provider, how would that compare?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gave the idea above a try, a comparison of speedtest.net to compare for distance/latency. I use an OpenVPN VPN over UDP. I live in Detroit and I'm using a VPN Server in Chicago.

Baseline speedtest.net from Comcast to a local metro detroit server
Comcastlocalsite.PNG

Running speedtest.net over VPN Provider, speedtest.net server in Metro Chicago
ThroughVPN.PNG

Running speedtest.net over comcast with no VPN, but the same server in Metro Chicago

ComcastThroughVPNSite.PNG

The speed of the internet varies so these results should not be over thought.
Paul

Last edited:
With My VPN provider I often find that I get better speeds from certain servers and they are usually not the nearest. Latency seems to be better correlated to distance than download/upload speeds.

I am id SW Florida and I usually get better speeds from NYC or Chicago than Miami, Atlanta or Jacksonville.

My conclusion is that it depends more on the routing path and the bandwidth available at the server than the distance.

With My VPN provider I often find that I get better speeds from certain servers and they are usually not the nearest. Latency seems to be better correlated to distance than download/upload speeds.

I am id SW Florida and I usually get better speeds from NYC or Chicago than Miami, Atlanta or Jacksonville.

My conclusion is that it depends more on the routing path and the bandwidth available at the server than the distance.

Good point, it depends what kind of path between locations.

Its probably best to say YMMV and its worth experimenting a lot to find what works best

Paul

I connect as a client to PIA and get 34Mb/s, without it I get 224Mb/s.

Thinking about things - as a result of a sidebar discussion and some deep investigation...

With the processor in the RT-AC3200, the OpenVPN speed isn't that bad actually... much has to do with memory performance of the CPU, along with outright compute capability...

Stop and thing - this is an ARM Cortex-A9 running at 1.2Ghz(?) with a skinny memory bus, and it doesn't support VFP or NEON instructions - so it's all core... and this is about the same about of horsepower as a low-end smartphone or tablet - and most of them have more/faster memory that the AC3200...

I wouldn't worry so much...

I did some testing a while back that may help you with some reference numbers on throughput. These are my speeds using the OpenVPN client on two different ASUS routers. Both routers running Asuswrt-Merlin 380.64 firmware. Connecting to PIA VPN servers on port 1198.

AC3100 (1.4 Ghz dual core)
CTF (Cut Through Forwarding NAT Acceleration)
DL: 61 Mbps with core 1 at 25%, core 2 at 75% (*74 Mbps core 1 at 30%, core 2 at 85% with mods)
UL: 84 Mbps with core 1 at 35%, core 2 at 100%

AC68U (1.0 Ghz dual core)
CTF enabled
DL: 44 Mbps with core 1 at 30%, core 2 at 80%
UL: 58 Mbps with core 1 at 40%, core 2 at 100%

For reference, when using the same PIA VPN server with a windows client I'm able to attain 250 Mbps down and 350 Mbps up on the same DSLReports HTML5 speed test.

The speed tests were conducted over a wired connection from the computer to the router.

Data encryption: AES-128-CBC
Data authentication: SHA1
Handshake: RSA-2048

*Adding the following lines to the custom configuration bumped the DL speeds to 74 Mbps.
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288
push "sndbuf 524288"
push "rcvbuf 524288"

pfsense.... installed it 2 weeks back on an old laptop and never looked back... 100mbps and still pushing further depending on bandwidth available. laptop has only 1 NIC? put that existing router of yours to better use with VLANs to split up the traffic from the laptop between WAN and LAN

I did some testing a while back that may help you with some reference numbers on throughput. These are my speeds using the OpenVPN client on two different ASUS routers. Both routers running Asuswrt-Merlin 380.64 firmware. Connecting to PIA VPN servers on port 1198.

*Adding the following lines to the custom configuration bumped the DL speeds to 74 Mbps.
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288
push "sndbuf 524288"
push "rcvbuf 524288"

Hi, wanted to thank you for your post about configuring. I've been using VPN for a month, and after testing, got the best reliability results with TCP *vs UDP). The buffering settings got the throughput performance back up where it should be.

Paul

Most of VPN providers using VPS on their backend that's why they are not able to give you blazing fast speed. <Spam link removed> is providing service on 10Gbps which is much better than other service providers.
Are you actually running this service on your router as a VPN client? If so what router , what is your speed from your ISP and what speeds are you getting running to the nearest server?

Last edited by a moderator: