What's new

VPN Technology Poll

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which VPN Tech do you most use?

• IPSec Appliance (Cisco, Juniper, Netgear, Linksys)

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • IPSec Software - Commercial (Checkpoint or others)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IPSec Software - Microsoft (L2TP over IPSec)

• IPSec Open Source - OpenS/WAN

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • SSL Appliance (Netgear, Juniper)

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • SSL Software (OpenVPN or others)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Custom (vtund or others)

• IP-IP encap

• Microsoft PPTP

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other - couldn't imagine what I might have missed

• Total voters

corndog

Regular Contributor
Hello all,

There's a lot of different VPN technology out there, and it seems nothing raises so many question marks on forums than VPNs - they're a bit complicated. I've been doing VPNs since the mid-to-late 90's and have tried a lot of different types. The good, the bad, the ugly.

But I was wondering - what are the people on this forum using for VPNs? If you're involved with business(es) you probably use more than one type, but anyways, which is your favourite? Or which one are you most comfortable with, or use the most?

I still use a ton of PPTP VPN to quickly connect to clients network to perform internal work on them (aka Linksys RV0 routers native PPTP VPN server)...

But when setting up VPNs for clients these days...I'm mostly gone to Junipers SSL VPN appliances such as the SA700.

So wonderfully easy to have clients setup on them, and problem free compared to IPSec VPN clients.

You forgot about the Frame Relays! My company has a frame relay on quad T1's dedicated to data traffic (Zero internet).

Other than that, Cisco SSL, with the ASA's. We use the SSL VPN for all of our work at home people, as well as Laptop people out and about.

I've used SSL Explorer a few times, and I really like it, but it's no where near as fast on my home cable.

I'm using the Netgear SSL box just to connect to the home network occasionaly; setup of these SSL things are so much easier then IPSec.

As for the company I work for, I think as YeOldeStonecat mentions, a lot of PPTP connections are set up for basic connectivity to a remote network / troubleshoot. I might ask what the security department is implementing the most.

My home router is a Cisco 3620, so I run Cisco's IPSec VPN. I actually do two things, I tunnel between my house and my brother's, and I have dial-in with a VPN client on my laptop. Works well, and once it was set up, it's been trouble-free. But there is a little more involved in getting things up initially.

Tam

You forgot about the Frame Relays! My company has a frame relay on quad T1's dedicated to data traffic (Zero internet).

Other than that, Cisco SSL, with the ASA's. We use the SSL VPN for all of our work at home people, as well as Laptop people out and about.

I've used SSL Explorer a few times, and I really like it, but it's no where near as fast on my home cable.

Hi Brandon,

Was referring to VPNs - i.e. Encrypted Private tunnels that traverse the public internet. A Frame Relay is not really a VPN. It is more of a Virtual Circuit that traverses the Telecom company's private infrastructure, not the public internet.

Hope that makes the distinction.

Mine is a bit of a mixed bag. I currently have a Netgear FVS338 I use as my edge router that provides one IPSEC (AES 256) VPN connection into my network. I also have a Cisco ASA5505 which just functions as a VPN concentrator serving up Cisco's WebVPN. Internally, I have another Cisco ASA5505 which is my main firewall/router between 3 different subnets where I use Cisco's IPSEC VPN. When I get my Cisco 1861 configured correctly, I'll be replacing the Netgear FVS338 with it and then go fully Cisco for all VPN access.

Since i use multiple platforms and self made linux routers i stick with openVPN, security is good enought, only problem for new ppl is to make a working config file for client and server, but there are faq for that