What's new

VPNMON POLL: Who is your preferred VPN provider?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Who is your preferred VPN provider?

• Total voters
Not surprised by this at all. Paid-for VPNs are; waste of time and money, with no benefit whatsoever, to me. And to most people who want to 'secure' their browsing habits too.

That is the full quote. What else is there to understand? Saving millions is not the (main) point of people feeling they are secure with a paid-for VPN (by far).

And spending tens of thousands of dollars to 'save' $4K isn't my idea of being too smart either, VPN or not.

What else is there to understand?

I give you an idea what to use a VPN for with potential real benefits to you. Savings of $4000/year versus the cost of NordVPN subscription of $100 for 3 years in my example. My wife doesn't go to work and it takes her about 30min a day to browse interesting offers with vendor coupons. That's all. What I understand well is your "always against" position, even if the benefits are real and the math is quite simple. If the idea is not smart enough for you, just move on.

I'm seriously considering running my own no-log VPN service out on AWS, which may be a fun experiment. Then perhaps grow it to US-east, US-west, and perhaps something in Sweden... and then @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow and I can launch our own VPN service. ;) In all seriousness... has anyone ever tried this using an Algo VPN server image?

Since Amazon would then be able to see that all traffic coming from and going out would be from my ISP's IP, what would be the ultimate design in privacy to mask traffic coming and going? Would this start requiring random double-hops?

I'm seriously considering running my own no-log VPN service out on AWS, which may be a fun experiment. Then perhaps grow it to US-east, US-west, and perhaps something in Sweden... and then @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow and I can launch our own VPN service. ;) In all seriousness... has anyone ever tried this using an Algo VPN server image?

Since Amazon would then be able to see that all traffic coming from and going out would be from my ISP's IP, what would be the ultimate design in privacy to mask traffic coming and going? Would this start requiring random double-hops?
I’ve used Algo on DigitalOcean with wireguard. It worked very well. But I didn’t want to keep paying for the server so I dropped it.

I give you an idea what to use a VPN for with potential real benefits to you. Savings of $4000/year versus the cost of NordVPN subscription of $100 for 3 years in my example. My wife doesn't go to work and it takes her about 30min a day to browse interesting offers with vendor coupons. That's all. What I understand well is your "always against" position, even if the benefits are real and the math is quite simple. If the idea is not smart enough for you, just move on.

No, not smart enough by a long shot.

Stop twisting what is pertinent here. Security vs. 'savings' is not the topic.

And to save $4K a year, you're spending exponentially more. Yawn. False economics.

Your wife is being paid to 'save' $21.735 an hour for her 'work'. Glad that works out for her. I make more than that, even if I had the time to waste half an hour every day.

And I don't have an 'always against' position. You do this, by trying to always twist words to your advantage. Just because you have a point (even if it is in the most obtuse way possible), doesn't mean you should spout it here on the forums.

VPN security was the point of my post. Not what potential/beneficial to your household scams can be run by using them.

When your points are proven irrelevant to the conversation, just move on.

And to put this as bluntly as possible for you: I don't need a VPN for the 'benefit' you're describing. I'm on many different IPs each day as-is (different customer, different IP). ;)

Last edited:
Yes, that is the grownup thing to do.

Nobody is on my ignore lists. I take knowledge where it is presented. Even from you, occasionally.

In this day of technology there is no such thing as privacy. Maybe if you were living on an uncharted island out on the ocean with no technology but even then, someone with a satellite knows you are there. :)

As I previously stated, I use a vpn to bypass geo restrictions on sports programming so my wife can watch her favorite MLB team. Even then, only that streaming device is routed through the vpn.

When I am away from home, I use a non dedicated IP TorGuard server whenever I am on wifi.

Correct.

The thread title is "Who is your preferred VPN provider". @Viktor Jaep doesn't specify privacy as main goal. There are other uses of public VPNs.

Who? :)

Read as: problem solved.
Correct with this statement, there are plenty of reasons for vpns, privacy and security is just a simple catch phrase the vpn provider uses to reel in that crowd. However, there are a multitude of legitimate reasons to use a VPN, and this thread is only about "who" and not the "why".

The information is much more complete when the way we use VPN is described too. Some VPNs are better than others for specific use case. And we had some fun around it. Then the rainbow got some of the participants. :)

The information is much more complete when the way we use VPN is described too. Some VPNs are better than others for specific use case. And we had some fun around it. Then the rainbow got some of the participants. :)

What became an exercise in figuring out what everyone was using in the hopes of finding a better VPN solution, became a lesson that nothing is ever truly private. After some research, you seem to find that the VPN industry is run by organizations who may not have the best interest of their customers in mind. You will even face roadblocks if you wanted to run your own cloud-based VPN server. The ISP, or the one who provides that internet access is always that last roadblock... along with the hosting country's government enforcing its privacy/surveillance policies on its citizens. Nobody is ever truly free.

Last edited: