What's new

VPNMON POLL: Who is your preferred VPN provider?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Who is your preferred VPN provider?

• Total voters
Count me among the very satisfied Mullvad users as well, please.

Choosing a VPN has always struck me as having a lot in common with dating: always a mysterious party on the other side of the interaction that needs sizing up, and all too often the things you think you need most from them end up having little impact on the final outcome. In that context, being a Mullvad user feels a lot like dating someone who's way out of your league: they barely notice I exist, never seem excited to see me yet never ignore me altogether, and no matter what we end up doing together they always end up blowing my expectations out of the water. To me that feels like the ideal relationship to have with any security provider you might need; those most worthy of trust tend not to invest much effort in soliciting it.

And yeah, the irony isn't lost on me that in this particular metaphor, my "hottie" is a pudgy, brown Swedish mole named Cookie who wears a hard hat and overalls wherever it goes. That's about par for the course for me in dating too, sadly. 🤣

Count me among the very satisfied Mullvad users as well, please.

Choosing a VPN has always struck me as having a lot in common with dating: always a mysterious party on the other side of the interaction that needs sizing up, and all too often the things you think you need most from them end up having little impact on the final outcome. In that context, being a Mullvad user feels a lot like dating someone who's way out of your league: they barely notice I exist, never seem excited to see me yet never ignore me altogether, and no matter what we end up doing together they always end up blowing my expectations out of the water. To me that feels like the ideal relationship to have with any security provider you might need; those most worthy of trust tend not to invest much effort in soliciting it.

And yeah, the irony isn't lost on me that in this particular metaphor, my "hottie" is a pudgy, brown Swedish mole named Cookie who wears a hard hat and overalls wherever it goes. That's about par for the course for me in dating too, sadly. 🤣
We got you and your little brown mole-rat down on the leaderboard! ;) Thanks for the feedback!

I tested Nord, Proton, Pia, Cyberghost, Express.
Saw some different providers on this forum.
Maybe test those like IVPN or AirVpn.
ZoogVpn looks good.
Torguard looks good, but I don't want to pay for an extra Streaming addon.
Always come back to Nord or Proton.

I tested Nord, Proton, Pia, Cyberghost, Express.
Saw some different providers on this forum.
Maybe test those like IVPN or AirVpn.
ZoogVpn looks good.
Torguard looks good, but I don't want to pay for an extra Streaming addon.
Always come back to Nord or Proton.
I've had really good success with Nord for quite some time now... they have a great selection of servers, and no complaints about speed. Thanks for dropping in!

I'm now testing Mullvad VPN..
Been off & on playing with the Mullvad API for inclusion in VPNMON-R2... the thing is a beast that I haven't been able to tame yet... UGH. Here's some of my flailings at it..

Code:
[.LogicalServers[] | select((.Name|contains("US")) and (.Status == 1) and (.Tier == 2)) | .Servers[0].EntryIP] | unique
[.LogicalServers[] | select(.Servers[0].EntryIP == "146.70.174.130") | .Load] | unique
[.LogicalServers[] | .EntryCountry] | unique

curl --silent --retry 3 --connect-timeout 3 --max-time 6 --retry-delay 1 --retry-all-errors https://api.protonmail.ch/vpn/logicals | jq --raw-output '[.LogicalServers[] | .EntryCountry] | unique' > /jffs/scripts/protontest.txt

I recently switched from Mullvad as they have discontinued the ability to port forward. I switched to Torguard as it continues to allow port forwarding, and you can purchase anonymously by using merchant gift cards, like CVS, to pay. You can use other forms of payment like crypto, but its hardly anonymous anymore due to anti anonymity laws (KYC), (but there are onerous workarounds). Torguard works as well as Mullvad for me.

Last edited:
I recently switched from Mullvad as they have discontinued the ability to port forward. I switched to Torguard as it continues to allow port forwarding, and you can purchase anonymously by using merchant gift cards, like CVS, to pay. You can use other forms of payment like crypto, but its hardly anonymous anymore due to anti anonymity laws (KYC), (but there are onerous workarounds). Torguard works as well as Mullvad for me.
I use AirVPN for port forwarding VPN capabilities... still working like a champ! :)

VPNUnlimited

Very responsive tech support. Lifetime was reasonable.

Mullvad user, but testing out Surfshark.

Use VPN unlimited and wonder how to use this with VPNMON R3.11

Not quite sure what API capabilities VPN unlimited has for automation purposes. Worst comes to worst, you would just assign a single host/server to one of your VPN slots, and have VPNMON monitor it and keep it connected.

Unfortunately not. I'll need to do some searches to see if they have a publicly accessible web API anyone can run queries against to get info on what servers they have available.

Update: I can't find anything that they have exposed for us to work with... ;(

Last edited: