What's new

VPN traffic shows as UPLOADS in QOS..... ASUS BUG

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I doubt it look at QOS the way it prioritizes on the picture

Isn't there another section where you can input up/down speeds? That is where I'm suggesting you reverse it.

For myself and my customers, I have no need for QoS at all (yet).

Isn't there another section where you can input up/down speeds? That is where I'm suggesting you reverse it.

For myself and my customers, I have no need for QoS at all (yet).
Nope I tried everything its a bug form ASUS.
I am surprised that none of your clients need QOS.
if you have a family and netflix and a wife trust me you need QOS hehe

Nope I tried everything its a bug form ASUS.
I am surprised that none of your clients need QOS.
if you have a family and netflix and a wife trust me you need QOS hehe

Family, yes. Netflix, no.

Customers are usually (small) business consultations, not home installations.

Family, yes. Netflix, no.

Customers are usually (small) business consultations, not home installations.
Huge difference. Business don't play games and download movies.
Most families today have min 50 mbps and much more with just 4 people. Netflix, smart phones, Tablets and the list goes on. All you need is junior to start downloading a movie and everyone gets chocked.
that is why QOS is very important it manages traffic better then without it on :)
and ASUS being leaders in consumer products should not be putting out routers that have a QOS which is backwards :p

Huge difference. Business don't play games and download movies.
Most families today have min 50 mbps and much more with just 4 people. Netflix, smart phones, Tablets and the list goes on. All you need is junior to start downloading a movie and everyone gets chocked.
that is why QOS is very important it manages traffic better then without it on :)
and ASUS being leaders in consumer products should not be putting out routers that have a QOS which is backwards :p

You misunderstood. I have tried QoS within my networks and my customers and it doesn't help one bit.

At least in one installation the very large pdf, huge audio/graphic files (images and videos) and even bigger zipped project files that are constantly copied or moved over the network are far more intense than junior downloading a movie (or did you mean streaming it? Which is even less consequential).

You misunderstood. I have tried QoS within my networks and my customers and it doesn't help one bit.

At least in one installation the very large pdf, huge audio/graphic files (images and videos) and even bigger zipped project files that are constantly copied or moved over the network are far more intense than junior downloading a movie (or did you mean streaming it? Which is even less consequential).
Streaming and downloading. I understand where you coming from but I have always used QOS on routers and it really helps especially with VOIP. there are many needs for consumers today, and I believe QOS is needed more then ever. And the ASUS QOS works real nice when you don't use the VPN
so go figure :(

I'll point Asus's R&D to this thread so they can have a look to determine if it's a bug or a technical limitation of the technology.

@RMerlin sorry for necro this old thread but it fits perfectly with my query. Did you point Asus to this thread at all...?
I am using policy based routing successfully for many years with your firmware adaptations, but it not going to work well with QOS in use, due to what is described in this thread.
If it is a limitation within the technology or scope as to how Asus feels it should work then I can use apps on the PC's using the VPN and disable it within the router if I wish to peruse both QOS and VPN usage at the same time.

Thanks

Still seems to be an issue as of June 15, 2021 - upload/download mixed up on my RT-AX68U with 386.2_6 on QOS and also Traffic Analyzer. On QOS everything shows as upload. On Traffic Analyzer - Statistic everything also shows as upload.

Presumably conflation of upload/download will not affect QOS - adaptive but will break QOS - traditional?

I just found out this thread when I noticed the same problem with QoS bandwidth monitor only showing upload for all devices when vpn client is turned on.

As soon as I stopped VPN client, QoS bandwidth monitor goes back to normal and I can see the uploads and downloads separated again.

Looks like after 5.5 years, Asus still has not figured out how to (or bothered to) correct this issue.